Toes on the line

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
JJ can confirm but I think he is concerned that the coach has all the players crowd the plate no matter who the batter or pitcher is and no matter the game situation. In general, each batter has their own unique batting stance that suits their swing mechanics and build/stature. One size doesn't fit all when determining where a batter should stand in the box.

confirmed. Of course there are specific batters and situations where it makes sense to give this instruction, but I was talking about the coaches who use it as a general philosophy.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
At the younger ages, and sometimes even up through HS, I will tell right handed hitters if they see a lefty to automatically crowd the plate until she proves she will throw inside. IME, most pitchers tend to throw more to their pitching hand side, so for lefties it will be outside to right handed hitters. If the pitcher works both sides of the plate they can stand at a normal distance. Basically, it turns a middle pitch into an inside pitch and an outside pitch into a middle pitch. 60% of the time it works every time. :)

I've also had a few hitters that turn quickly on an inside pitch but struggle on the outside. I will also suggest they crowd the plate as long as they can handle what the pitcher throws inside until we get an opportunity to help them hit the whole plate from a normal distance. It's a temporary fix, especially if they are in-season. Helps them get on base more and stay in the game.

As an overall edict to everyone? Never.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I will tell right handed hitters if they see a lefty to automatically crowd the plate until she proves she will throw inside. IME, most pitchers tend to throw more to their pitching hand side, so for lefties it will be outside to right handed hitters.

This is true. Righties have a fit against left handed pitchers who own the outside corner until they think about this simple, logical adjustment.

Feb 12, 2014
I also seem to get much more away than in.

When an umpire is positioned correctly in the slot between the hitter and catcher the pitch that they have the best vantage point on is the inside pitch. My experience, especially at younger levels, is that it's easier to be more generous on the outside corner because they don't see that pitch as well.

Nov 8, 2014
Toes on the line at all times is bad advice. It can be effective as an adjustment, but making it a mandatory set up is foolish. The moral of this story is to train your pitchers to be effective and fearless inside. Always work in and move away. Nothing better than a batter on their heels.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
JJ can confirm but I think he is concerned that the coach has all the players crowd the plate no matter who the batter or pitcher is and no matter the game situation. In general, each batter has their own unique batting stance that suits their swing mechanics and build/stature. One size doesn't fit all when determining where a batter should stand in the box.

Most pitchers prefer to throw away from batters, therefore a lot of coaches teach their batters to crowd the plate. Until a pitcher proves she is willing to throw inside it is probably a good strategy. This is also a good reason for a pitcher to have a scrise ball in her repertoire!

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
I find it odd that pitchers parents take this personally, and also how it's assumed the batter is either trying to get HBP or can't hit the inside pitch.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I find it odd that pitchers parents take this personally, and also how it's assumed the batter is either trying to get HBP or can't hit the inside pitch.

I do not take it personally, but to be effective a pitcher needs to own both halves of the plate, which is why good pitchers will have the confidence to throw inside regardless of the batters position in the box.

The reason most batters "toe the line" is to hit outside pitches, which is where most pitchers will throw. There is no advantage in trying to hit inside pitches, and there is a higher likelihood a batter will hit the pitch off the handle or her hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole