To run up the score? That is the question.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
I see a lot of very lopsided games in NJ but they don't usually go 7 innings. Sounds like they wanted the game to last and pad the stats.

So let me get this straight. As was mentioned in the original post, the first time these two teams met the better team won 3-0. 3-0. Yes, 3-0. Now here it is, the second meeting between these two teams. You're suggesting that the dominant team was in such total control, such command, that they sandbagged their way thru the first six innings (because they didn't want a run tule win), scored only 7 thru six, and then finally decided to play all out in the final inning in an effort to "pad their stats?" If that is true, why do you think they only scored three runs in the first meeting? They didn't want to pad their stats that day?

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Sounds like your team did a good job hanging in as best they could for 6 innings but the wheels came off with as you say "5 errors in that inning".

While is sounds unlike to happen in this case the other coach might have been worried about the same type of horror inning happening in the bottom of the 7th.

Just trying to give some perspective. Doesn't sound like they were trying to run up the score, one of those things that just happened. And this is HS ball not little league or rec ball with 12 and unders.

Apr 8, 2013
First of all, there are two types of "running up the score." In one, the coaches are going all out, using the whole playbook, taking every base they can, wanting their best players to continue being their best players, and show their dominance. That is not okay in almost every situation.

But then you have the other type of of "running up the score" It's when you get into a situation where one team is far superior to another. One team's talent is so superior they simply can't be stopped despite a lack of effort from coaches to score runs. The coach uses the whole bench, and even the worst player who's had 5 at bats all season manages to hit a line shot to the gap. Are you supposed to tell her not to swing hard?

If I see a coach keeping their starting 9 in when it's 15-0 after the 2nd or 3rd inning, I think that is out of line. With substitution rules you can reinsert a player if things turn around and start getting close. And it is even more out of line for the other girls on the winning team who don't get as much playing time. Nothing infuriated me more as a parent when my oldest son stood on the sidelines in middle school football with our team winning 40-6 with five minutes left and the coach having the same 15 or so players in the game playing both offense and defense all game. Never missed a practice, never complained to the coach, but he had his 15 or so chosen ones and everyone else was just there to look good. I think I would feel the same way in softball, if my DD was a backup and not getting into games where our team was clearly dominating the opposition, so there is that perspective as well.

If I see a coach empty the bench and they just keep hitting, it's tough to tell those girls who work hard and want to excel at the game to let up. After all, while this one game might be a blowout, maybe a few days later you have to play a team that is ranked higher than you. You don't want to promote the "don't try your best" mentality with your players.

Jan 22, 2011
Local High School game last night. Visitor up by 6 runs bottom of 6th. Home team winds up tying bottom of 6th, visitor wins by 3. Softball is a funny game.... I've seen 11 run leads evaporate a couple times over the past 12 years in games I've been involved in. I don't start to relax unless I'm up by 11, but 12 feels like 'running up the score'.

Jun 12, 2015
So far our team is more likely to be on your side of the score. Personally, I never expect or want a team to go easy on us. My daughter doesn't either. Let them battle and learn from it. JMO.

Oct 25, 2015
Kansas City
Jmo but run the score past the point they can't return then second string or close to the point. Personally I want my girl to grow and get better if a team can rum it up reinforces the fact they have work to do. Sometimes a bad beating is what they need to fire up so it never happens again.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
If that is true, why do you think they only scored three runs in the first meeting? They didn't want to pad their stats that day?

Obviously I wan't there so any answer is speculation just like my first post but the OP asked for opinions. Putting up 11 runs in one inning sounds like padding stats since a minimum of 14 kids had PAs that inning.

Jun 29, 2013
From this chair, I'd say the opposing coach over-did it. Two teams played twice and one couldn't score in 13 innings played, right? The opposing coach couldn't have been thinking "boy, they might drop 10+ on us next inning," nobody who has a lick of common sense would think that way. It's one thing to make sure every player gets one more at-bat in the last inning, but there's no need to humiliate an obviously over-matched opponent. And please, spare me the "he was just doing his job" line. I didn't buy it when Jimmy called for a fake punt when he was up by 40 against Notre Dame and I'm not buying it here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan