To coach or not to coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Coach JV - I assume you stepped out of coaching b/c you thought that was best for your DD. It's nice to be sought out to coach, but I suggest you continue to do what's best for your DD. I went down this path and we're both happy how it has worked out and helped my DD develop more self-confidence and independence and set her up to be comfortable playing without me in college.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I have always told my wife that I will go back to coaching once DD
is out of HS. At the older ages I think its imperative that girls are allowed the chance to play
on a team where there is no dad as coach. This is a big reason that DD is happy, I enjoy watching
and at the same time, I want the mutiny squad to do the same

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
I am coaching my last game in 2 hours. I "retired" last year, but was brought back (kicking & screaming) by my partner of the past year as he needed help.

I "retired" as DD needs to take instruction from someone other than me in a group setting. She is 14, a rising HS sophmore who needs to be coached by someone who can take her to that next level.

As I thought last year, it was my hurrah, as Yogi says "Its deja vu all over again".

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I am coaching my last game in 2 hours. I "retired" last year, but was brought back (kicking & screaming) by my partner of the past year as he needed help.

I "retired" as DD needs to take instruction from someone other than me in a group setting. She is 14, a rising HS sophmore who needs to be coached by someone who can take her to that next level.

As I thought last year, it was my hurrah, as Yogi says "Its deja vu all over again".

Good luck and stay strong and stick to your guns this time! It's worth it.

Jan 31, 2011
I would avoid these parents all together. What does all of this tell you about their character? They are undermining the coach and trying to get you on board. Let me guess, the team is not winning as much as everyone thinks they should?

I have 3 DDs playing TB (one is in HS ball right now) 10U, 14U and 18U. I coach my 14U kids team as HC. I support the coaches of my other two kids 100%. I never waffle on this. Why? I do it because my DDs love their team, love their coach and are learning. Its not about winning every game. DD#3 is a little pip-squeek playing on a little older team. She eats it up and is forced to play at a high level for her age. Its awesome to see her play with all she has to give! DD#1 is college bound in 1 year and getting a lot of attention. How could I ask for any more? I miss a ton of their games due to my commitment. But in the end, they are learning and competing when I am not there. Its not about me, its about them doing their thing. Continuation of improving their softball skills is what is important to me.

I just see too many parents focus on winning.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
The DD's team did not have the story book ending last night unless you like a comedy (of errors). It would have been nice to retire winning the last game, but all 13 girls were smiling after we gave the post game talk.

Now off to club ball this where I get to be a parent.

Nov 29, 2009
My history? 5 of the past 6 years I have been HC of travel teams, most with my DD on these teams.
We built a solid product but I stepped out as DD was asked to play in a different organization
with no dads as coach.

I went through nearly an identical thing with my DD. You have to ask yourself some questions. Is the organization she's in reputable? Is she learning? Is she growing as a person as well as a player? Does she have the opportunity to be pushed? Is she a better player because you have more time to work with her on her own? Is the stress level at home lower? Is the wife happier because you're home more? Is your relationship better with your DD without coaching? Do you REALLY have to coach to be happy with your DD and softball?

Do yourself and your DD a favor and take a long, hard look at the situation without the input from the other parents. Right now they don't know how to help their DD's. They are looking for someone to do their thinking. Because of your experience you have a VERY large neon target on your back. If things are better for your family then it's time to concentrate solely on your DD and let the others follow your example. If they wish to undermine the coach/team/organization they will do so with or without your help.

Take the time to make your DD the best player she can be. Once she is done and you still have the coaching bug then take a team without any kids on it and coach them with your DD when she's older. I've been working on and off with my DD for the last 6 years. Next season we are taking a team together again. It should be fun.

It may sound selfish... But, do what is best for YOUR family first!!!!! Once the other parents realize you are no longer a viable option they will move on and leave you in peace with your DD. As a compromise you could offer to work individually with them and their DD's to help teach them together.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jtp1221