Tips to get more pitching time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Make sure the game is chasing you, and your not chasing the game....

I'll take a page out of Sluggers PlayBook with this ???

Lets say one of our Top 4 DPF's PC's moved next door to you. You meet him, and he tells you he is semi-retired, and is only going to take 1 pitcher for the whole off season. He has a DVD deal....He needs a DD and a Dad to do an instructional on how to be the best bucket-Dad. 12 lessons. If you let him film you, he will give you 2 Formal lessons a week. They would need to film all other practices in between lessons. You will need to provide a catcher, as he will need to be able to work both ends of the powerline. He will show the catcher how to catch, and would be able to, in the course of the project teach them to hit....

Remember.... Dream the Dream !!! If this could come true, Your DD would have a strong pitch, could bend the ball one way or the other, with a nice CU. Be able to throw 45-50mph w/ 16-19 RevFire reading.... @ 10U. She would K all the batters in the first game...without ever showing up for any team practices... :cool:

I'm just guessing here....but I am willing to bet that PC was the guy with the hydroponic grow room in his closet in college:)

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
on My first research night on girls fastpitch softball, I read a Jennie Finch's article, (CrazyDad) and downloaded Uneo's UnderArmer commercial on You-Tube... :cool:

I knew nothing about it, but seen they had the big camera on this (Uneo) pitcher, and every great pitcher had to have a crazy dad.... I told my little 8yr old DD, You can do this...

JJ I'm thinking you must be tripping, trying to manage 2 DD's in fastPitch :cool:

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2014
Make sure the game is chasing you, and your not chasing the game....

I'll take a page out of Sluggers PlayBook with this ???

Lets say one of our Top 4 DPF's PC's moved next door to you. You meet him, and he tells you he is semi-retired, and is only going to take 1 pitcher for the whole off season. He has a DVD deal....He needs a DD and a Dad to do an instructional on how to be the best bucket-Dad. 12 lessons. If you let him film you, he will give you 2 Formal lessons a week. They would need to film all other practices in between lessons. You will need to provide a catcher, as he will need to be able to work both ends of the powerline. He will show the catcher how to catch, and would be able to, in the course of the project teach them to hit....

Remember.... Dream the Dream !!! If this could come true, Your DD would have a strong pitch, could bend the ball one way or the other, with a nice CU. Be able to throw 45-50mph w/ 16-19 RevFire reading.... @ 10U. She would K all the batters in the first game...without ever showing up for any team practices... :cool:
Ah, this is no dream. :)

Just turned 10 yo DD did that at Wednesdays lesson with a 12" ball from 40'. 19.9 was her rps high.

The dream is finding a situation that challenges Grcs DD while getting circle time. It'll come! :)

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
There are 2 houses for sale on my street. Let's do it! ;)

I have had 3 Coach's move right across the street...in the 2 houses that have sold in last 2 yrs. High school BaseBall, his wife the HS Softball Coach @ a school in our area, that we play. The other is TB 10U Baseball Coach. DD welcomed the HS BB coach, by working out with him @ YMCA & getting him in our school batting cage... he also plays-Pitches ...she would catch for him....

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I have had 3 Coach's move right across the street...in the 2 houses that have sold in last 2 yrs. High school BaseBall, his wife the HS Softball Coach @ a school in our area, that we play. The other is TB 10U Baseball Coach. DD welcomed the HS BB coach, by working out with him @ YMCA & getting him in our school batting cage... he also plays-Pitches ...she would catch for him....

Roof-top video required for proof.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
...By the way, I would "master" the fastball and change-up at 10U and not even worry about a screwball or even drop ball. Difficult to get any real movement pitching from 35 feet with a 11inch ball without raised seams. I waited until DD was at the end of 1st year 12U player before we introduced movement pitches and she had been pitching since she was 7YO.

Absolutely! When working with a new student I put a 2 liter bottle on a milk crate at home plate. Knock it off the crate 7 out of 10 times and we will talk about movement pitches. Until then you need to learn to pitch, or quite possibly how to throw. :)

Right ... Master your pitches. Learn to locate them.

Jun 12, 2015
I'm going to try the milk crate thing. I think she can do that already, or close to it. She'll enjoy that challenge either way though.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If you do something like that put a toilet plunger in your tee then place a ball on it. If she knocks the ball off x amount of times move down a ball size. Eventually get down to where there is just a softball on the tee. Start with a beach ball if you need to.

Jun 12, 2015
If you do something like that put a toilet plunger in your tee then place a ball on it. If she knocks the ball off x amount of times move down a ball size. Eventually get down to where there is just a softball on the tee. Start with a beach ball if you need to.
I like that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HCockell