Timing Issue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.

video of a hit from yesterdays game.. she finally almost got all the way load to turn the barrel and got a hit to left field...looks like the hips are a little behind.. what you think?

Same set up as my previous post. Starts to raise the rear elbow a little bit but, stops. Needs to create a 'corner'. Also very little coil(hard to see catchers glove in way). Looks more like a sway back and a rushed swing. Hands in front of hips. A corner would help with getting some separation between the hips and hands. Also looks like an all upper half swing with very little involvement of the hips and legs. Another thing your DD swings 'around her body'/ hands take a quick left turn. Your DD needs to hit 'out from' her body. Which will have a hitter pulling a lot of balls foul. I would like to see your DD extending through the ball getting to a nice 'power V' position. JMHO.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2014
rdbass thanks for your input... I am trying to get her to understand turning the barrel but I cant figure a good way to explain it... do you or anyone else have an easy way to explain it

Mar 17, 2014

here is one off a tee.. looks a little closer to turning it but doesn't look quite right... what kind of drill can I use to get her headed right

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
See how this goes?
Set a ball on a tee for a pitch down the middle. As a drill have your DD start close to this position:
Miggy_highside.gif

BustosOutFrom.gif

(borrowed gif from tjintx post)
I would have like the gif to start a frame or 2 earlier.
Cabrera_062613_combo.gif

The position on the right. Just before Cabrera starts to 'turns the barrel into the ball'.
Have your DD start with the rear arm/elbow 'poking' a little out the back and a little more load on the rear leg. Have your DD at toe touch ready for the incoming ball. Just give the 'command' GO. All your DD has to think/do at go is heel plant and 'turn the barrel at the ball'. Have your DD 'match' Cabrera's 'turning the barrel at the ball.
Throwing this out there to the posters at DFP. Does this seem like a good/bad ideal?
Edit added:Not commenting on posted video 3-26-14 10:41PM unable to view at work. Comment was for 'turning the barrel' request.

Last edited:

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
i can't help you with the swing when I see it in real time.
get an app called SloPro- its free and while not as usefull as Ubersense, it allows you to post Slo Mo video on YouTube.

Also, FWIW- when my older DD would have trouble with a slow pitcher, i'd have her fake bunt and swing away on every pitch. it worked for her but she was 16+ back then, your DD looks young.

I Like what RDB says above. For timing issues, I like to get the kids catching pitches from the batters box. (Thank you Howard!) Right handed batter puts on a left handed fielding glove and gets ready for a pitch as if they were batting. pitch comes in, they turn into it and catch it with the glove. the trick is to catch it where you want to hit it. try not to be reaching out front for it. try catching some in front of the plate but catch others deep in the zone.

Last edited:

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Pretty good swing bmabe, IMO She's loading all back then not getting off Her backside so it's a bit of a spin with the rear foot anchored to the ground. I'm basing this off Her game swing posted from yesterday. Stare at Her rear foot. This is the hip pulling an anchored rear foot as opposed to the rear knee assisting the hip to deliver the swing. Work on that and see where it takes you. you should start to see a smoother delivery in short order. As She starts to get the rear leg active you can begin to work on later barrel movement.
I personally didn't see an issue with Her barrel other than the hands should activate the barrel a little later in the sequence.

BustosOutFrom.gif

screen-shot-2013-07-11-at-12-08-12-am.png

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal

here is one off a tee.. looks a little closer to turning it but doesn't look quite right... what kind of drill can I use to get her headed right

There is a lot about this swing that I like. The one thing that really sticks out to me is that her bat speed is all out front, instead of being immediate and explosive at launch. I suggest trying to adjust her mental approach to swinging the bat, and have her try to get the bat moving as quickly as possible right from "GO!", while the barrel is still behind her shoulder. The rear hip should snap forward, not turn slowly, as it is in this swing.

Mar 5, 2014
There is a lot about this swing that I like. The one thing that really sticks out to me is that her bat speed is all out front, instead of being immediate and explosive at launch. I suggest trying to adjust her mental approach to swinging the bat, and have her try to get the bat moving as quickly as possible right from "GO!", while the barrel is still behind her shoulder. The rear hip should snap forward, not turn slowly, as it is in this swing.

Agree 100%. She's not dragging/pulling the barrel. She IS turning it, she just needs to turn it at max effort NOW! NOW = swing launch. She currently is 'ramping up' to speed out front. She needs to try and achieve at/near 100% max batspeed at launch. Getting the barrel up to speed at launch will provide her greater adjustability and the ability to see the pitch longer before she has to commit.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quickpitch