time to move on?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I am starting to conclude that "playing up" just does not work (in general). I am talking about playing-up from an A level younger team to a same A level older team. (don't want to even consider going from a younger A to an older B..... I am not talking about those cases.)

I think that even if the younger girl can compete in the older squad, she will still get mental "wounds" from the older players and environment. I think for it to work the player has to be a top 10% player when they get to that older team. (to automatically have the older girls respect)

Keep the girls in their own age brackets.

my .02 ......

I think every girl is different. You need to have the maturity to handle playing up. As far as respect, it is no different than any other team you would join. You have to earn it. For my DD, there has been zero issues playing up. I see her bringing her max intensity, every time she steps on the field with older girls. She is constantly pushing herself to better performance.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I think every girl is different.

I think it also depends on the area. The OP says they didn't have "many" competitive 16u teams where they live. Here I could throw a rock and hit 10 average to good 16u teams.

Summer ball here it's fairly easy to find good 16 tournaments. Fall ball the numbers drop and 16/18 usually combine.

OP's DD is a pitcher and she seemed very honest without bragging about their situation. Pitchers need circle time, that's what you look for concerning your decision in a team period. Not 16 or 18. Trust me 18 will be at your door before you can blink an eye. Don't jump into it just for the "honor" of saying DD plays 18u ball.

Position players don't apply. But I always get a kick out of pitchers parents who claim their 14yo is the #1 pitcher on an 18u team. Because either the kid is the 1% who has the "stuff" or the team itself is very weak pitching wise. The funny part is if the kid is the 1%, how come 99% of the parents make the claim. :)

To the point you probably should not be playing up unless you are top 10%...but guess how many parents think their kid is top 10%... well on a 10 girl team about 5 girls don't ask me how that computes to 10% but it must because it is the case on every team I have every been associated with.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I guess I'm glad we're in the NE. ASA has a low profile such that there are no A or B teams. As far as Gold teams here, its a self-crowned title and probably only fits about 15-20% of the teams making the claim in this neck of the woods.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I think that even if the younger girl can compete in the older squad, she will still get mental "wounds" from the older players and environment. I think for it to work the player has to be a top 10% player when they get to that older team. (to automatically have the older girls respect)

And when the 10%er does get their, ALL the older girls get worse than wounded. The very fact of it being called u in each group... 10u, 12u, 14u, ect... is designed for this to happen... think there will always be playing up. Do-u know what I mean?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1