Tighten an A1000 more?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2021
I just did the relace and it didn’t really help much. I guess I’ll try a batting glove but I can see where this is heading. Annasdad what’s your recommendation on a light glove with small opening. She plays pitcher and short the majority of the time.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Annasdad what’s your recommendation on a light glove with small opening. She plays pitcher and short the majority of the time.
Honestly that's a tough one? I have medium sized thick hands, the few of those Wilson FP gloves I've worked on before I couldn't even get my hand inside one of them. They had super small / snug hand stalls!

For years my DD used a 12" Rawlings Pro206 / Pro1000 with the wrist laced to the tightest setting, she has pretty small hands and they worked great for her but those Rawlings were nowhere near as small as the Wilson hand stalls.

May 9, 2021
I think it could be where the a1000 are so soft off the shelf the leather may have just stretched over time (6 months of almost daily use) because I have a fairly thick hand can still get it in hers on the tightest setting. We've been around the block with her and gloves I bought her a 44 Japan Select (too heavy and still breaking in) so we went the easy route with the a1000 and now it's too loose. I also love that she tells me this literally the day after dropping over $300 on a pocket radar. :rolleyes::)

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
The problem with the A1000 and R9 from Rawlings are exactly what you said. They're easy to break in, but the leather is so soft that they stretch and get floppy very quickly.

The custom gloves builder on Rawlings allows you to choose a narrow taper and hand stall, but it'll take 4-6 weeks to get it, and a long time to break it in.

Which PR did you get? Smart or Ball Coach?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Don't be shy, take an exacto knife, cut off the end of the wrist strap to shorten it a bit, then cut a couple of holes further into the strap and lace it up. The cut end will be hidden from view and won't be visible. But this is a last resort, try the batting glove first.

May 9, 2021
Good call @ArmWhip I may go that route if she doesn't like the batting glove.
Thanks LEsoftballdad I'll check that out, I got the Smart coach and fortunately was able to use one of the local 20% off Dicks coupons.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
One other thing that I have done with a lot my gloves is replace the rawhide laces that connect the wrist strap to the glove with elastic laces. The little bit of stretch that you get from the elastic allows some movement making it much easier to close, and at the same time when the glove is open it stays on the wrist/hand better. I'm surprised that glove manufacturers haven't incorporated some stretch into their wrist straps. The flexibilty also shortens break in time.

Sep 19, 2018
I don’t mean to come off harsh, or jump to conclusions, I apologize in advance. If you have “fairly thick hands”, why would you ever put your hand inside her glove? You can do nothing but stretch everything on the inside.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877