ThundersDad

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Thundersdad: To post a video, first upload it to something like YouTube. After you upload it, find the link to the video. The easiest way is probably to simply click on the video in YouTube to watch it, and then copy the link from the address bar of the browser. Post the link here and we'll take a look at it.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm not a pitching coach, I'm just a dad who owns Hillhouse's dvd. Prior to purchasing Bill's dvd my DD was taking lessons at one of the better known facilities in my area. The instructor was teaching the standard rocker style pre-motion, heavy emphasis on wrist snaps and straight follow through to pitching shoulder.

I watched Bill's dvd, pulled her out of lessons and began working with her myself using Bill's pre-motion as a model and changing her snap and follow through to what Bill teaches. We saw immediate improvements in speed, control and spin.

I have no idea if the rocker style pre-motion gives a pitcher more speed. What I can say, is that Bill's pre-motion helped my DD with her weight shift and push off. It also helped her some with syncing her legs with her circle, as well as ensurung that her pitching elbow wasn't locked out. Bill does a really good job of explaining the weight transfer part of the motion.

Jul 14, 2008
After reviewing a few of Hillhouses demo's, he IS using the modified rocker motion I spoke of previously:

Boardmember said:
The rocker and modified rocker motion has been used by the greatest female pitchers in the world, past and present..........

Used properly, the rocker/modified rocker motion promotes the highest rate of angular momentum/acceleration. Proper use of the high rate of angular momentum caused by the rocker is also the chief protagonist for a more explosive leg drive............And is probably why 90% of the best pitchers in the world use it.

A "rocker motion" is defined as movement of the throwing arm down and backward past the hip before begining the forward swing........

Bill uses a modified rocker motion, with his glove hand following the throwing hand down to the hip, vs. a full rocker with both hands involved in the full swing back....

The modified method is used by Jelly Seldon, Lisa Fernandez, and a host of others.........

Moving to a full rocker from a modified rocker can be difficult do to the shoulder close timing/mechanical differences...........

I'm not a pitching coach, I'm just a dad who owns Hillhouse's dvd. Prior to purchasing Bill's dvd my DD was taking lessons at one of the better known facilities in my area. The instructor was teaching the standard rocker style pre-motion, heavy emphasis on wrist snaps and straight follow through to pitching shoulder.

I watched Bill's dvd, pulled her out of lessons and began working with her myself using Bill's pre-motion as a model and changing her snap and follow through to what Bill teaches. We saw immediate improvements in speed, control and spin.

I have no idea if the rocker style pre-motion gives a pitcher more speed. What I can say, is that Bill's pre-motion helped my DD with her weight shift and push off. It also helped her some with syncing her legs with her circle, as well as ensurung that her pitching elbow wasn't locked out. Bill does a really good job of explaining the weight transfer part of the motion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13