Throwing to second from knees.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 9, 2013
NE Ohio
Texican, I believe youv'e forgotten a couple from Okla that threw from the knee's. My dd does with great success to second and to 1st for pick offs.She's 13 and has the arm to do it,Girls with less arm strength can make up time with good transfers and footwork,when girls are young they think its impresive as they get older its just another way play the position.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
As far as what college coaches look for.... I had one of my catcher attend Tennessee's junior camp this summer and pulled out from the group to demonstrate her blocking. The Vol's coaches told all the other catchers "This is what a block should look like!" (My catcher and her parents were pretty stoked!) Another equally strong blocker was told by a Missouri coach to block differently. There never will be one opinion on what's best. Blocking, throwing or otherwise. The catcher that can adapt and stay safe will do well.

We have been doing more with high level throwing and actually use some warm up drills where our catchers throw from their knees. We keep the distances shorter and taking their legs out of the throw forces catchers to use proper mechanics with their upper body. Catchers demonstrating good mechanics are given the green light to throw back to the pitcher or work pick offs from their knees. A few of our catchers have a very good throw downs to second from their knees as well. (Typically juniors in HS and older)

We also take a hard look at the catcher's body and help them utilize the strengths that their body presents. It is more difficult for someone with very long legs to come up throwing. This catcher tends to be more comfortable (and effective) dropping and throwing. A catcher's build, leg/arm proportions, weight and strength are all factors on what methods they utilize. Whether it be stance, blocking, throwing or otherwise. The key for throwing is using proper throwing techniques and throw with their bodies, not just their arm.

Attachments

• 1461001_682952718391381_1912934557_n.jpg
    1461001_682952718391381_1912934557_n.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1