Throwing the rise

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 4, 2012
So a non dropping fb if they normally throw it is a 'rise'? But with bullet there is no movement? Same for rise? Sorry I'm new to this pitch

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Pitching DD's FB is the same as her drop ball. No difference for her. So, in other words, her drop or FB whatever you want to call it drops because of the downward spin and drag on the ball. Her rise, unfortunately doesn't spin backwards, only when she's doing it from a k-drill. Most of the time she has bullet spin when she's going full motion. When, she throws it, it doesn't drop as much as her DB/FB whatever you want to call it. She's able to deceive hitters with it after they've seen her DB. Therefore, she has a riseball.

Sep 3, 2015
Pitching DD's FB is the same as her drop ball. No difference for her. So, in other words, her drop or FB whatever you want to call it drops because of the downward spin and drag on the ball. Her rise, unfortunately doesn't spin backwards, only when she's doing it from a k-drill. Most of the time she has bullet spin when she's going full motion. When, she throws it, it doesn't drop as much as her DB/FB whatever you want to call it. She's able to deceive hitters with it after they've seen her DB. Therefore, she has a riseball.
DD is same, FB/drop is same pitch. Her rise spin is also better during drills than full windup. I guess a high FB/drop would just hang. PC says rise becomes really effective at 55+ so we have a ways to go but we're going to work on it.
Thanks

Jun 19, 2013
Seems silly to not let her use a striped ball to help her see when she getting the better spin when practicing. That makes so sense to me at all. When it's just you and her I would recommend using the striped ball for sure so you can both get used to seeing the spin.

My DD's rise doesn't have back spin, it varies between bullet and a tilted bullet with a slight backspin - maybe 7-11. When she hits this spin she said she feels like the outside meaty part of the hand is facing the catcher (side of the pinky) at release - thumb pointing behind almost down if that makes sense. Ken B. is her coach and has seen it he might have better input. But I think he will agree that you would of course want a striped ball until you learn what you are seeing.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I agree with using a striped (and dotted) ball until I can prove myself otherwise. I like the stripe for at least learning to see the spin, but I am very interested in trying the dark seamed balls...

I'd call Class's DD's spin a crise. More backspin than anyone I've seen live--other than Anna Miller.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2010
Quincy,
PC says no lined ball for rise, we do use lined balls sometimes but PC wants DD to recognize good spin and not use them all the time

I disagree with your PC.

In practice all we use are striped balls, it provides instant feedback on the spin.

Sep 3, 2015
Thank you all for the feedback.

Not going to argue with PC, he knows what he's doing but I understand the lined ball argument. I just wanted to get some supplemental info from the other experts here about the rise since it's new to me.

DD has been practicing the spin for over 6 months in close range drills. I was just wondering what I should expect, as this pitch is a long term goal but hoping she feels comfortable enough to start throwing it in games later this season. So far going pretty good.

Jun 18, 2010
You write:

I know it's supposed to rise but I'm not sure what to expect and it's hard to see the spin.

It is suggested to mark a ball, you reply:

PC says no lined ball for rise , we do use lined balls sometimes but PC wants DD to recognize good spin and not use them all the time

You indicate it is hard to see the spin, but there is an expectation your 12 yo DD should recognize the spin as the ball is traveling away from her at XX mph? Does this make any sense?

Jun 18, 2010
For a riseball training aid, we use [MENTION=674]Hillhouse[/MENTION]'s double ball. I'd highly recommend it.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I carry 3, 6 gallon buckets of balls to every practice.... I'd say 85 of those 90 balls are all stripped!
NOT tape....sharpie (so it doesn't feel different)
I want all warm up overhand throws with a stripped ball
Throw downs from C to 2B... stripped ball
All practice pitches...stripped ball
All spin specific...you guessed it!...stripped ball
That stripe allows the players to see for themselves what good vs. poor mechanics look like and can self correct!
The goal for all overhand throws is 6/12 spin or at least close to it. Pitching a FB/DB is no different...Straight spin.
I can't understand for the life of me why a PC would suggest to not use this easy aid???
Especially on a rise... However, when working on the rise or curve, I like to use a ball that is painted a solid color on exactly 1/2 of the ball... That is by far the easiest tell for correct spin. Moms and Dads on a bucket at home can practice with a purpose with dd when EVERYONE can recognize good spin!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00