throwing the bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
last season my DD was bad about letting go with one hand after a swing and the results was flinging the bat. She received several warnings and then an out in a game because of it. Hers was unintentional, but still throwing the bat. We broke her of it immediately after that tournament.

The other night at a game - our pitcher hit the batter in the helmet. Total accident as the pitcher was getting frustrated and just let off a bad pitch. Batter is angry and THROWS the bat. It spirals/spins several feet before it lands just a few feet from the home dugout.

Is this a warning offense just like my DD? Should it have been an out? What about the pitcher? Should she have gotten a warning?

and (1 more)

If the bat would have hit the catcher or the batter warming up, would the call be different?

Mar 13, 2010
Was she throwing it to her dugout? I've generally never seen an out given for a batter turning and delibraltly throwing to their dugout.

If it was a 'angry' throw in this specific situation, I would probably leave it (the kid did just get hit in the head!) but warn the coach at the end of the inning. That's only if it doesn't go towards any defensive player. If it goes towards any defensive player, than straight out, with a warning that if it happens again she's out of the game.

If she'd hit the catcher out of the game. That to me would be a dealbreaker. Her own teammate, a warning. I would hope in that situation the coach would be pulling the player themselves. (I would be)

I did once see a batter CHASE a pitcher who hit them in the head at U12s. I don't remember seeing that kid at the grounds again after that strangely enough.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
The answer to your question is partly going to depend on what sanctioning body's rules you're using. Different rule sets do handle thrown bats differently. Generally, none of them prescribe an "out" for throwing the bat. Some local leagues add this as one of their "house rules", but speaking ASA, high school, NSA, etc, there is no rule that says an out is called if a batter throws the bat.

Intentionally throwing a bat in anger is regarded as unsportsmanlike conduct and, depending on the severity of the infracrion, an umpire may warn or eject at his discretion.

A bat that accidently slips from the hands, as part of the batter's swing or as she discards the bat after hitting the ball, is treated differently. For instance, in ASA there in no penalty associated with a bat that is carelessly discarded (unless, of course, the bat subsequently interfers with a fielder on a batted ball). In high school, the first offense is a team warning, with the next offense by that team resulting in the player being restricted to the bench- but, again, no out is charged!

What if the bat had hit somebody after purposely being thrown? That could factor into the umpires decision to either warn or eject the batter.

Should the pitcher have been warned after she hit the batter? No- not unless the umpire judged that she intentionally hit the batter.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Also, local rules can cover this.

Personally, I would sit a player down that has thrown a bat in anger. That is just an accident looking for a place to happen.

Oct 19, 2009
I have a pet-peeve on throwing a bat in anger. The players age and number of incidents has to do with my response from a good talking to; to setting a few games.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207