Throwing- Outfield vs Infield

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I'm making throwing a priority with my U12 team for the clinics we will be having this winter.

I tend to focus on getting my girls to throw from separation, thumb to thigh, circle up to 90, step and throw (keeping the elbow high/glove shoulder low). I am trying to keep them from Throwing a pie (or a shot put or "like a girl", etc.)

This is fine for the outfield, but what is the proper throwing technique for the infield?

I have Howard Kobata's DVDs and I see he talks about making quick throws and he talks a lot about footwork, but not so much on the actual mechanics of the quick throw. the quick throw without the "windup" seems to me a difficult point to make with kids who could very easily fall into pushing the ball.

Can anyone tell me about the process of the quick throw or break it into important phases? Obviously it's quick so there aren't a lot of steps, but the few steps would be that much more important. Also, at this age I'm seeing a great variation in strength. many girls throwing to 3B from 1B will be the same as an outfield throw.

thank you.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
The motion is similar, but the circle is smaller. Instead of going to the thigh, think about making an elipse under the chest. The key here is that the motion is still circular, not linear, this is what keeps them from "throwing a pie". For catchers, the motion is even more flat, but still circular.

-W

Jul 9, 2010
You don't reach back as far on your windup. In the IF, you are throwing more from your ear. In the OF, you are reaching back further, and your arm is higher, to make the longer throw.

Also, make sure you finish down, even in the IF. If you cut off your follow-through, you will sail the ball. Make sure they have a good wrist snap at the end of the throw, so it doesn't sail. Same as OF really, just with a different release point.

A lot of kids in the IF want to reach way back on their windup, like they would in the OF. Once they learn they don't have to do that, they will release the ball quicker, We work on taking the ball and glove to your ear for the throw, and throw from there.

Not sure it that makes sense or not. I can explain it to kids in person, but it's harder in typing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish