Throwing out a runner at 3B

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
How do you teach your catchers to throw a base-stealer out at 3B with a RH batter in the batter's box? This is for varsity level (17-18 yr. old players).

Do you:
A. Step back behind the batter and throw OR
B. Step in front of the batter and throw?

Which do you feel is more effective/efficient and why, or what are the pros and cons of each? Thanks!

Mike

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
It probably depends on where the batter is set up in the box and where the catcher is set up. You should also instruct your catcher to make the throw if the batter is outside of the batters box in case they can get an interference call.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Step behind. First move is right foot crossing behind left foot. (What we do)

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
It's all about proper footwork. The move is started with the right foot crossing over and behind the left foot (quickly and aggressively), thereby moving your body behind the batter; followed by the right foot toward 3rd base for the throw. The whole move is quick and powerful and it's all one continuous smooth move. The throw to 3rd base can't be situational...it's always the same so there's no hesitation and no thought involved. 3rd baseman always knows where to look too.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
My catchers step back. Right foot first, then a quick pivot towards third at the same time the left foot is coming back. But as said above... it depends on where the batter is.

Only point made in one of the videos was if you have slid over or set up outside and pitch is low and outside step back might not clear batter. Also another catchers video I saw said on rare occasion where you would pitch out you would step in front as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321