Throwing off the facemask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2013
Just found these forums and want to thank everyone for making me feel better about my teachings....My DD will be 11 this summer and have been a catcher for going on 4 years now. Her coaches have told her to flip the mask and thats how we did it back in the day..but more and more I have worked with her Ive realized keeping her safe is way more important then a missed pop up...games come and go but my daughter taking a shot to the head isnt worth it. She is the bat girl for her schools JV team and I see alot of issues with their catchers and found out last night they havent even taught some of them blocking skills but are quick to have them dump the mask....I cringe as I see them trip over the masks and point out to my DD why I have taught her the way I have...I must be doing something right because her skills are more advanced then most the girls on JV ;)

Oct 10, 2011
I wasn't there to see it, but our catcher threw off her helmet, and somehow stepped on it falling backwards smacking her head on the ground. Concussion. She's really embarrassed about it too.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
So many more bad things can happen when you toss aside your safety gear while a ball is in play. Just keep it on. My daughter does, and I told her 12U coach, who was complaining that she just won't listen to her about ripping off helmet, that DD will continue keeping it on.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
It's amazing to me how frequently the old school mentality still tries to impose its will on today's sport despite so much evidence to the contrary. Improvements in technology, design and materials have been significant. Injuries and misplays have been documented for all to see. Yet, well meaning but uninformed (probably never played the position, had a kid catching or even researched the topic) parents will yell out to the catcher to lose the mask and when confronted on the issue continue defending their position. Then they see the rare play on TV with a college player tossing the mask further cementing their misguided opinion and bolstering their desire to argue. Frustrating. BTW, when does the coaching from the sideline stop? Gets discussed pre-season (to not do it and let the coaches coach) and then it creeps back with a vengeance. Aargh.

Jun 14, 2014
Ca
My DD does not hesitate to tell her coach "No, I have been taught not to." Granted the coach will still try it but does not push the fact.

May 5, 2015
As a beginning catcher I have two basic rules for the facemask:
1. leave it on when there's no time to safely throw it off, i.e. while playing home->1B or trying to catch a pop up close to home, or when I'm running hard to get a pop up that's in the middle of the distance between 1B and home;
2. take it off on the wild pitch while running for the ball or when there's a possibility of trying to make an out at home after a hit. I throw it far to the side to keep it out of my (and umpire's and other players') way.
But mostly, it stays on. Safety first.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My rule is simple. Do not take the helmet off ever, if you are on the field. There is no reason to whip it off and they are not made to whip off.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
As a beginning catcher I have two basic rules for the facemask:
1. leave it on when there's no time to safely throw it off, i.e. while playing home->1B or trying to catch a pop up close to home, or when I'm running hard to get a pop up that's in the middle of the distance between 1B and home;
2. take it off on the wild pitch while running for the ball or when there's a possibility of trying to make an out at home after a hit. I throw it far to the side to keep it out of my (and umpire's and other players') way.
But mostly, it stays on. Safety first.

As Amy said, never ever take it off. No need to teach the player anything.

(I guess if she goes out and talks to the P she can take it off if she wants to but that is about it)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207