Throwing Mental Block

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
Need some help with one of my players. She is a big strong 11 year old with a cannon. If she doesn't have the strongest arm on the team it's definitely in the top 3.

She catches about half the time and plays OF the rest. When she tried out I thought she would play 3b or SS because of her arm and athleticism. Unfortunatley when we got her in games she would make a great stop but when it came to the throw, she would hesitate, and lob a terrible throw.

As a catcher, she makes awesome throwdowns to 2nd base with no hesitation. Great foot work, throws are hard and on the money. Fielding a bunt however she gets the yips on that throw to 1B.

Yesterday she was in left field with a runner on 2B and a line drive was hit on two bounces two her. She fielded cleanly and everyone could see that runner was headed home. Should have been a total dead duck with her arm but she held the ball and eventually tossed it to our SS!

I know this problem is entirely mental but I am grasping for a cure. I keep telling her to turn it loose and she will never be in trouble for making a bad throw but it doesn't seem to work. This is her first year with us so I don't know if she took verbal abuse in the past for bad throw or what.

Any advise from others who have encountered this?

Apr 1, 2010
I know it's simple, but on each pitch, is she planning ahead and visualizing what she's going to do when she gets the ball? It sounds like she knows what to do when she sees a runner break for second, but she isn't planning ahead for things like bunts or a fly ball coming to her in the outfield. Out in left field IMO, she should have been taught to say to herself, "Ok, runner on second, if I field it, I throw 2 bases ahead of her, that's home. I throw to home."

Oct 19, 2009
I'm pretty sure that's not it. She's so afraid of making a bad throw. She will set her feet to the target and start to throw, hesitate, sometimes she'll even pump a couple of times and then when the ball comes out it is very weak. Usually doesn't make it on the fly. It seems the only time this isn't a problem for her is when a runner is stealing and she's the catcher. At these time her throws are a thing of beauty.

I have read about major leaguers having a problem sort of similar where they can't throw the ball back to the pitcher. She doesn't have that problem however.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2010
i dont think its the yips!!!

I'm pretty sure that's not it. She's so afraid of making a bad throw. She will set her feet to the target and start to throw, hesitate, sometimes she'll even pump a couple of times and then when the ball comes out it is very weak. Usually doesn't make it on the fly. It seems the only time this isn't a problem for her is when a runner is stealing and she's the catcher. At these time her throws are a thing of beauty.

I have read about major leaguers having a problem sort of similar where they can't throw the ball back to the pitcher. She doesn't have that problem however.

From my personal experience with yips with one of our top players its mainly associated with in field throws. You could actually see the mechanics completely falls apart. Reasoning behind this is that a closer distance its upfront and personal and you are expected to be on target. Take ankiel for example he was a great pitcher but lost his ability to throw accurate in the infield but was moved to center and threw lasers...

Solution : I experimented with our third baseman I found that when a runner was 30 ft from the bag and he had no time to throw his accuracy was spot on. So it may sound wierd but what I had him was not to delay his throw or hold on to it that would be worst but we made him take an extended blink of the eyes just as the ball was released. This worked miracles for him. You need to see the target first. Trust me sounds crazy but some of my other players have increased in accuracy from this situation. Have your start playing catch and then ask to throw the ball just as they close there eyes it does something to the brain transmission of information and doesn't clutter the signals of fear or flight. Also works great on muscle memory and mechanics heck I have even tried it myself.......

I am not saying to teach all to throw this way but those that have an issue with time and fear it will work oh and by the pick up the target first and blink as the ball is released don't shut yours as if you were scared because that's what the brain is doing when their eyes are open.....

And for the record don't ever tell an athlete its mental because that in its self will cause issues......

Hope my advise helps!!!!!!

JWP

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish