throwing mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I myself like a high elbow above the shoulder.I also like the throwing arm extended alittle back not the 90 degree to get momentum on the ball.Point ball to 3rd base.Land with the ball of the frt (lead)foot at 4o to 45 degree angle on a flexed frt knee(very important) then allow the heel to plant.Stride to step and think of the nose and chest over the lead toes.So I've been told and believe.Throwing is hitting and hitting is throwing.Your dd looks good.I also work on throwing with my DD every time we go out to pratice 3 or more days a week.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Check out Chris O'leary's web site has good article up about proper throwing which I loved and printed out.I show it to anyone that will listen to me bore them about how important it is for both boys and girls to throw properly.

Oct 12, 2009
thanks for the thoughts so far. She is working on pulling her glove to her chest/arm pit. What about her elbow, is it to high....

I am also missing a picture in the sequence, it didn't load when the Mom that took them uploaded them. Hopefully she can get it to upload so I can put it up.

I'd like to see her tilt her shoulders more so that her elbow is in line with her shoulders when she's leading with her elbow.

Sep 3, 2009
I've been to Chris' site before and just checked again and haven't seen a link for an article on throwing. Can you find a direct link to the article? Thanks.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
in frame 1 I see her start the throw.
Frame 2 the ball is in the same place (relative to her head) but her elbow is way out in front and her glove is down by her side (indicating her shoilders aren't working the throw correctly). I didn't check her footwork.

I had a girl on my team this year who had a terrible arm and she would start ok then as she turned into the throw she would throw her elbow forward and then stop all body movement and flip her throwing arm forward from the elbow.
kind of like this :
[video]http://imageevent.com/siggy/throwing/analysis?p=1&n=1&m=24&c=4&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=9[/video]
(wish I could post the gif!)
except as soon as this clip stops, she would continue the throw from the elbow only.
the fact that she's throwing well despite the mechanics indicates to me that she will be awesome when she gets the mechanics right.
you can never go wrong following Chris O'Leary's advice.

Last edited: