Thoughts on Mizuno GXS31TG Catcher's Mitt for Dad

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

About a week ago I posted looking for a LHT Louisville Slugger Big Daddy as my hand is taking a beating lately in my early '80s Wilson OF glove while catching DD. The laces are dried out and breaking, and there is basically zero padding. No action on my WTB ad.

In the meantime, I found a good deal on the aforementioned Mizuno Samurai GXS31TG online. I had been thinking about the Worth Liberty but the Mizuno has me interested. My hands are not particularly large for a 6'5" guy but they are certainly bigger than the average 18U catcher. For around $100 seems like it might be hard to pass up.

Eric F, hoping you might know something about this model?

May 13, 2015
I have a GSX57 I use to catch my daughter. The GSX58 replaced it and they are for an adult hand. Fits mine nicely. I think the one you are looking at may have more padding, I would guess the 57/58 would be comfortable catching into the low 50's.

Thanks triple 9, I was thinking of going that route but the 31TG has a lot of extra features that I could get for nearly the same price. It's a 34.5", so it sounds like I would be OK size wise with the GSX31TG.

Mar 9, 2015
Love the Mizuno catchers mitts but our gloves had issues with lacing breaking in the dual post web area. We ended up finding a Nokona catchers mitt, closed web, and been working fine. Been over a year now and no issues.

I tried on a GXC90B1 at Dick's last night. The thumb adjustment was really cranked down small, but the hand opening seemed small. Now it was a 33.5" baseball mitt, but it just seemed like I couldn't get the heel of my hand all the way in the mitt. Might have just been the thumb stay, because the fingers all felt fine with plenty of room. It was the thumb side that felt like I wasn't in all the way. I know that there is always the potential for stretching after I get one too.

Thinking for the price I might just take a chance on it and if it doesn't work out just try to move it and try something else.

May 13, 2015
"Will this glove fit an adult man's hand? I need a glove to catch for my daughter.

Yes, this is the catchers mitt we recommend for fathers catching their daughters."

The above is one of the questions off of Mizuno's website for the 58 I mentioned above.

I read that 999, I have seen other places that people say that these Mizunos are big enough, I was just hoping that Eric F would comment in here because he was a big Mizuno user at one time on the catcher's mitts and just catcher's mitts in general. I feel like it's going to be OK though.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Swim Coach - I'm not intimately familiar with the GXS31TG, but it should be a good choice for your needs...if it fits your hand. It is a fastpitch-designed mitt, so the finger stall might be narrow, but you won't know if it's okay until you have it on your hand. The options for LHT catcher's mitts are pretty limited. A friend of mine recently picked up a 31TG for her lefty DD (12U TB), and they are very happy with it.

My DD has recently tried Worth, All-Star, and Mizuno mitts, and ended up settling on the GXS58. For some reason, she is simply the most compatible with Miz mitts. We know the 58 will need replacing before too long with the amount of use it gets, but right now, she's rock-solid with it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck