This new training tool reflects a whole hitting philosophy...is it right?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
I can beat this horse all day long...

Hamilton ain't warming up his "connection" here. But he is working on that top hand. :D
hamiltonderbywarmup.gif

Does the top hand use the body? Of course, but... Let's be serious on where the focus is.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You can see this space widen, the hug against the body, widen in miggys swing clearly, this is the flingy part. but he is right in you must efficiently use the rotational force.

Mann, generally speaking, this 'space' will usually be narrowed/reduced before it is widened/increased.

Last edited:

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
That doggone sarcasm.... LOL

lhowser, only having some fun.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
That doggone sarcasm.... LOL

lhowser, only having some fun.

No problem. The past 3 posts were very very helpful and instructive. Just when I was ready to buy into connect the barrel with the shoulder turn (not because of Mankin but a number of things) the video you posted clearly demonstrates there is more to it that that.

I have recently told some players that if you shoulders are turning the barrel better be moving as well. I can see there is also many examples of some independence. At the same time arms completely disconnected from the rotation of the core doesn't appear right at all. And a late hand pivot point also seems wrong.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
No problem. The past 3 posts were very very helpful and instructive. Just when I was ready to buy into connect the barrel with the shoulder turn (not because of Mankin but a number of things) the video you posted clearly demonstrates there is more to it that that.

I have recently told some players that if you shoulders are turning the barrel better be moving as well. I can see there is also many examples of some independence. At the same time arms completely disconnected from the rotation of the core doesn't appear right at all. And a late hand pivot point also seems wrong.

lhowser, IMO this is one of the challenges with video analysis. When reviewing the analysis of connection, it is clear that their is a certain "proximity" involved. And depending on the pitch location, that "proximity" needs to be adjusted. What isn't as clear, at least to me, is if the connection is intentional, or merely a pass through position. It is my belief that connection is not something to be desired. I prefer that the hands are free and able to get the barrel where it needs to be to square up the ball. In order for that to happen, the hands must be assisted by the elbows and shoulders, but not controlled by them. As I have stated before, I am not a fan of the contraption that forces the elbows to remain in a certain configuration. Likewise, I am not a fan of a "forced" shoulder connection. Allow the hands to do what they need to do, and the rest will fall in line.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Arms are relaxed to begin with. The hands catch a ride as the lowerbody starts the swing. It's relax and connect. Connection does happen.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Wonder if you may be mixing the notion of "connection" and the "RVP connection point position"? What "position" are you referring to?

I don't have access to my gifs right now but consider the one you use to demonstrate the "around". While one can see a relationship between the location of the hands and the rear shoulder, that is not what my focus is during that phase.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
lhowser, IMO this is one of the challenges with video analysis. When reviewing the analysis of connection, it is clear that their is a certain "proximity" involved. And depending on the pitch location, that "proximity" needs to be adjusted. What isn't as clear, at least to me, is if the connection is intentional, or merely a pass through position. It is my belief that connection is not something to be desired. I prefer that the hands are free and able to get the barrel where it needs to be to square up the ball. In order for that to happen, the hands must be assisted by the elbows and shoulders, but not controlled by them. As I have stated before, I am not a fan of the contraption that forces the elbows to remain in a certain configuration. Likewise, I am not a fan of a "forced" shoulder connection. Allow the hands to do what they need to do, and the rest will fall in line.
Very good comments. Tough to teach. Focusing on connection is an easier teach.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez