This new training tool reflects a whole hitting philosophy...is it right?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Can you elaborate a little? I see that you and rdbass view this differently, and he made a good case with his gifs.

I respect RDB highly ... but I disagree with what I believe he may be promoting on this particular topic. You time the pitcher such that your 'move out' occurs just slightly before, or at, the pitcher's release. This has you initially moving forward without information on pitch location. When I speak of moving forward 'smartly', I speak of moving forward in a manner that will channel energy into the swing efficiently ... not moving forward in a manner that is "intentionally" modified based on one's subsequent reading of the eventual location.

I've seen this instructed ... i.e., the teaching of striding to a favorable position based on where the ball is located ... and the result has been that the hitters negatively impact their move out ... being late ... and subsequently being rushed ... and it breaks down quickly at that point.

That isn't to say that there isn't some natural adjustment that takes place ... but one is not purposefully trying to modify their move out midstream ... which is what you would have to do if you wish to both have the timing correct and stride in/out based on the pitch being located out/in.

By the way ... I also disagree with your view on connection stated above. Freezing the elbow into the torso is a bad idea IMO.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
i also agree its not good to freezing the back elbow. As you know by now, i have lots of play in the hitters box stuff, its a "framework" to work from .ie a good contact position, among many other benefits.

I have not agreed with other coaches telling the kids read the pitch them step appropriately. they will be late. But the gifs do show high level hitters riding that back hip, till the ball is very close, then setting the front side

Thank you for clarifying your position

May 3, 2014
Maybe this would be a good time for Butter to review "escape force motion".

Creating lag whether intentional or not - would retard escape force motion. Also, trying to use shoulder rotation would be sub par at best if trying to create it.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I respect RDB highly ... but I disagree with what I believe he may be promoting on this particular topic. You time the pitcher such that your 'move out' occurs just slightly before, or at, the pitcher's release. This has you initially moving forward without information on pitch location. When I speak of moving forward 'smartly', I speak of moving forward in a manner that will channel energy into the swing efficiently ... not moving forward in a manner that is "intentionally" modified based on one's subsequent reading of the eventual location.

I've seen this instructed ... i.e., the teaching of striding to a favorable position based on where the ball is located ... and the result has been that the hitters negatively impact their move out ... being late ... and subsequently being rushed ... and it breaks down quickly at that point.

That isn't to say that there isn't some natural adjustment that takes place ... but one is not purposefully trying to modify their move out midstream ... which is what you would have to do if you wish to both have the timing correct and stride in/out based on the pitch being located out/in.

By the way ... I also disagree with your view on connection stated above. Freezing the elbow into the torso is a bad idea IMO.

I also have much respect for FFS and because of that he's probably correct. Here is my reasoning for what I believe.
I have no students, I instruct one hitter my DD. As I have stated before my DD uses an open stance. So, every time my DD 'moves out' while the pitcher delivers the pitch she has time to 'read' the pitch. I believe she can place her front stride foot where ever she thinks will give her the best chance to 'square' the ball. Whether that's in or out. Again that's JMHO and it hasn't ruined my DD yet. Granted she's not a 'power hitter' and that might be the reason why.:eek:
4en9.gif

2uqlrht.gif

hugo_hr_alabama_front_zps9aac24ee.gif

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Maybe this would be a good time for Butter to review "escape force motion".

Creating lag whether intentional or not - would retard escape force motion. Also, trying to use shoulder rotation would be sub par at best if trying to create it.

I suspect your understanding of lag is different than mine. Good hitters have lag in their swing. Good golfers have lag in their swing. I'm certain you've heard mention of a bent right/top hand ... That is lag.

May 20, 2015
Bingo. Good hitters talk about getting their hands through. A contraption that arrests the rear arm like that is not good.

Bingo to your Bingo.

A contraption that arrests the rear arm, like this one does, also alters the hand path, not for the better. The rear elbow is very dynamic. The rear elbow sets up a lot mechanics.

Plus, Mankin is a schill. The connector device was taken from StraightLeg. I believe.

JMHO

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Bingo. Good hitters talk about getting their hands through. A contraption that arrests the rear arm like that is not good.

Bingo to your Bingo.

A contraption that arrests the rear arm, like this one does, also alters the hand path, not for the better. The rear elbow is very dynamic. The rear elbow sets up a lot mechanics.

Plus, Mankin is a schill. The connector device was taken from StraightLeg. I believe.

JMHO

Connector contraptions were around well before SL thought to put one together. If you recall, even HI showed how to build them and use them.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Mann, there are no swings or demos in the video I presented ... hence no GIFs to be made. The video is more a precursor leading to a basic description of ‘escape force’.

See if this helps ….

Wind and Sling Golf Swing Escape Force:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez