This new training tool reflects a whole hitting philosophy...is it right?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Mann, listen again to the video ..... specifically focus on what is said between 7:30 - 7:45. Is that truly what you want. Almost seems to be advocating elbow stall.

Got it. Not good. I like Mankin, But as with most instruction you have to pick the good from the bad.

The elbow spacing would be after slot, not measured before FP. on an Optimum swing.

this young man has an elbow spacing problem, to me, and i would deal with it as such.

I do not think it is a shoulder flying open problem, it is leaving the bat and hands behind, because of improper arm positioning problem.

Once fixed his timing will be off, he will be early because the bat will get where its going with that shoulder rotation, not after.
BatDrag_003.jpg

92967d14fa4e9432a1c189cf92fd7f8d.gif

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The elbow spacing would be after slot, not measured before FP. on an Optimum swing.

Sorry mann. I am just not a fan of the philosophy. I do not do anything with elbow spacing at all. I did at one point, but decided to move on. If it works for you, great. I'll pass.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
do you work with the front arm?

Not sure what you mean... Let's start this way. When considering the relationship/distance between the elbows, what is your starting point and what is your ending point? I assume you are focusing on keeping a constant distance between the elbows from Point A of the swing to Point B of the swing. Please define Point A and Point B and then I will reply with what I look at.

Note: I may not be able to respond until later this evening...

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I agree with the responders. Stay away from this tool.

In the video with the kid hitting the bag. The second frame shows his front shoulder pulled out early to get his hands in position. I want my batters to stay "in" on the ball longer.

This is interesting, I hear people say this a lot. I see people focus on it in drills, but in most game swings I see the front shoulder turn out or tilt and turn out as a way to rotate the barrel to contact. Do you have some clips of batters keeping the shoulder in longer in game swings?

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Absolutes for me from Mankin. You must stay connected to shoulder rotation, or you will lose the corner.

Some say pulling the front shoulder when they mean they are dipping, or not using that front side scrunch.

Again to me it means they left the hands behind in shoulder rotation

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Absolutes for me from Mankin. You must stay connected to shoulder rotation, or you will lose the corner.

Some say pulling the front shoulder when they mean they are dipping, or not using that front side scrunch.

Again to me it means they left the hands behind in shoulder rotation

Maybe this would be a good time for Butter to review "escape force motion".

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez