There is a difference.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 23, 2012
I'm just an average dad with an 8 year old dd who loves to play. She has been playing since she was 4. Read a lot of info an have always used basic bats except for an eBay deal on a comp mizuno that was nothing special. Went to a true sporting goods store today and bought her a cf5 28/17. She has a pretty decent swing in my eyes eapicaially considering my gene pool. Son had a football game so we didn't get to break it out till about an hour ago and hit some soft toss in to the net. WOW what a difference. She is super excited about practice tomm. She made her first all star team this year and then joined a team at the end of the summer. Saturday night she got asked to pick up with a team in a local tournament that we weren't playing in because one of their girls got a busted chin. We were out there because she always wants to go watch softball and are fortunate enough to have one here in town about every weekend. The team was a class act team which helped but I thought about the courage and love of the game it must have taken for my 8 year old to walk in to a dugout with ten girls and four coaches she didn't know and not only play ball but lead chants and have one heck of a game. Sorry for the ramble but after seeing that dropping the money on the bat just wasn't that big of a deal. It may be in her head but she now has the bat all the players she looks up too and is excited as she can be. Thanks for reading and have fun.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
I have found in softball that I rarely regret spending the extra money for good equipment. I write this as I'm in the process of shopping for new catcher's gear for both DDs, who have outgrown theirs. $250 per set seems like a lot, but I know what I'll get from the cheaper stuff.

And girls love shiny new stuff! They always seem to play better when they get new gear.:)

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
I started my DD off with a $35 bat. Halfway through the season I bought her a $100 bat. She hit a homerun at her first at bat with the $100 bat. I said at that was the best $100 I had spent. Heading into this season I bought my daughter a CF5. She crushed the ball with the new bat. Her first at bat this past spring would have been a homerun had she not slipped rounding 3rd and the 3rd base coach reached out and kept her from going down. Eventhough that run didn't count, it was the first of many homeruns this past spring. My wife thought I was crazy for spending so much on a bat when I bought it, but by the end of the season she was all in to buy the CF6 for fall ball. :)

Jun 24, 2013
My wife thought I was crazy for spending so much on a bat when I bought it, but by the end of the season she was all in to buy the CF6 for fall ball. :)

Luckily my wife is the one coming to me and saying "I want to by a XENO for the little DD AND the big DD's". Lucky guy I guess....

Apr 23, 2012
Luckily my wife is the one coming to me and saying "I want to by a XENO for the little DD AND the big DD's". Lucky guy I guess....

Funny you say that. My wife was a little upset about the price until she saw her hit with it. Then she wanted to know why I waited so long to get one.

Dec 7, 2011
Funny you say that. My wife was a little upset about the price until she saw her hit with it. Then she wanted to know why I waited so long to get one.

Now you got to see an '04 Rocketech or an ole Demarini Pheonix and then yer wife will hit ya upside the head for not going onto Ebay and forking out 5 bills for one of those!!!.

(It has a habit of having no ceiling - be careful)

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Over time you become "numb" to the costs of TB. I remember when my DD was 10 and I about had a coronary when I bought her first composite bat for $150......5 years, and 5 bats later, I just ordered a new Xeno and did not think twice about it. BTW - you can get one for @ $240. On a positive note, my DD plays softball 10 months a year, so her bat, glove and cleats get lots of use, unlike my $1000 golf clubs that are collecting dust in the closet.......

Jun 24, 2013
My DD's are going through cleats before they can even wear them out completely. One DD is size 10 Womens (13y.o.) and the other is size 12 Womens (12 y.o.).

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I once took DD to Cleats, in Glendale, AZ, in between ball games. She fell in love with a 2 piece Demarini something or other. I shouldn't have paid full price, but I did. She hit an in the park HR, directly down the first base line, her first time at bat with it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA