The wonders of life

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Just started up the new season of lessons this week and was struck by something interesting.

One of the places I teach is about 30 to 45 minutes away from my house. Consequently, when I finish lessons at the end of April it's usually the last time I see some of my students for a few months.

Tonight I saw a couple of them and was struck by how much they had changed in the intervening months. One girl in particular stood out. Not only did she look more mature in her face (at age 12), she was actually talking in a conversational way with me tonight.

At lessons I'm usually pretty chatty. Some of the girls will chat right back. Some will joke around with me and toss good-natured insults back and forth. But some will barely say a word. The one I'm thinking of was in that latter group. But tonight that changed. We had some good conversation, and she started calling out when she didn't execute a technique the way I wanted her to. That's awesome because I always tell my students that it's important that I know what they should be doing, but it's imperative that they know because they're the ones who have to do it.

I've had a few over the years who didn't talk to me (more than answering a hello and saying "ok") for a couple of years. They were either shy or uncomfortable talking to an adult. But I think it's really cool when that changes and you begin building a more personal relationship. It absolutely makes teaching more fun!

More...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA