The value of posting video to IG and Twitter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2019
I follow a lot of our local players on their IG and Twitter accounts. Our 2025 player is soon to begin her college search and hopefully, recruitment tasks. I've noticed that many of these girls post, literally everything they can, i.e., singles through the IF, catching pop flies, a lot of really basic plays. My question is, is this the way to do it? Some of them go out of their way to post their daily work outs, what they ate for breakfast, etc. Do these posts get notice from coaches? Personally I would think it isn't showing the player in the best light and that videos should only be posted that demonstrate hits and plays that are above the ordinary. These girls are working with recruiting services so I'm wondering if they are guiding them as to the content of their social media or should pretty much, everything be posted?

May 27, 2013
Twitter wasn’t big when dd started her journey but is has been in my ds’ journey over the past year. He will post in-game hits and in-game pitching to batters. When he has reached out to coaches he has given them his Twitter handle. He has had a few calls with coaches where they’ve seen his videos. He’s also had a couple of coaches reach out to him after they’ve seen him on Twitter from schools he did not reach out to.

Jun 19, 2020
I will give you two different scenarios that I am familiar with. My DD has does post game videos to twitter now and then. We typically splice a reel together showing different pitches throughout a tournament. She will also post / share awards she receives, but all in all I would consider it a small amount of stuff shared. I would have liked her to do it a little more, but in the end it was up to her. She has several coaches that follow her and will emails them frequently with a ton of video and stat updates. This has worked for her.

A teammate of hers posts a tremendous amount of stuff on twitter, BP, Game Highlights, Awards, Lifting. Probably something every single day that shows some aspect of the game being worked on. Those videos have lead to a tremendous amount of interest for her, and have opened up opportunities she may not have had otherwise.

My opinion is this, you can post / share what you want. Coaches can see things they like in videos and things they don't like. What one coach sees as a plus may get you marked off another coaches list. Its part of the process. In the end when they show up to watch you play the player needs to be able to back up what they are posting. If you only post 300ft practice bombs but go 1 for 10 with 7 K's against top level pitching...

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
In the end when they show up to watch you play the player needs to be able to back up what they are posting. If you only post 300ft practice bombs but go 1 for 10 with 7 K's against top level pitching...
I remembered seeing a dad post on behalf of his kid. Lots of slapping and speed stuff. Seemed over the top and excessive. But I always thought, who is her team playing against?

She is at a mid major here in Texas. 25% of her AB's were K's and hit .222. Only 5 SB's. Freshman year is always an adjustment and the head coach left which is a good thing, according to a parent I know.

Oct 3, 2019
I will give you two different scenarios that I am familiar with. My DD has does post game videos to twitter now and then. We typically splice a reel together showing different pitches throughout a tournament. She will also post / share awards she receives, but all in all I would consider it a small amount of stuff shared. I would have liked her to do it a little more, but in the end it was up to her. She has several coaches that follow her and will emails them frequently with a ton of video and stat updates. This has worked for her.

A teammate of hers posts a tremendous amount of stuff on twitter, BP, Game Highlights, Awards, Lifting. Probably something every single day that shows some aspect of the game being worked on. Those videos have lead to a tremendous amount of interest for her, and have opened up opportunities she may not have had otherwise.

My opinion is this, you can post / share what you want. Coaches can see things they like in videos and things they don't like. What one coach sees as a plus may get you marked off another coaches list. Its part of the process. In the end when they show up to watch you play the player needs to be able to back up what they are posting. If you only post 300ft practice bombs but go 1 for 10 with 7 K's against top level pitching...
That makes sense. Thank you!

Aug 5, 2022
My dd rarely posted anything about practice. She would try to post a clip or 2 from every tournament and if she did something outstanding from her high school games but not every game. She always posted post camp tweets as a thank you. Sept 1 has gone well so I think it helped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 19, 2021
My dd rarely posted anything about practice. She would try to post a clip or 2 from every tournament and if she did something outstanding from her high school games but not every game. She always posted post camp tweets as a thank you. Sept 1 has gone well so I think it helped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, really similar here. DD usually posts a couple plays from each tourney, but not all the time. A couple of HS plays, including her first two HS HRs this year, got posted as well. Also she usually puts together a 2 minute highlight reel at the end of a season (HS, summer, winter, etc) to post. The plays posted are to highlight what she is capable of. Big hits, a few singles, diving OF catches, diving IF plays, and just some regular IF plays to show movement and receiving skills.

She posts thank-you's after camps, etc. and recognition (all-conference teams and such). She posts upcoming schedules. The video links go into emails to coaches along with more detailed and personal information. It's not enough by itself, but it all kind of adds up and keeps her visible to coaches.

Plenty of interest yesterday, so it must be helping.

Jun 27, 2021
It was good for the class of 2021 and 2022 because of the lost time in covid to gauge interest by coaches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad