The Transition from AC to HC

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2012
The past few seasons I ACd for rec ball and most recently for my dd tb team last season. Because the HC was moving on, I was asked to take over the role of HC this season because they thought I had a record of helping the girls improve their playing abilities. I've taken the role very seriously and coach with a process centered style. I'm very comfortable with running the program, planning out practices, and so far the players have told me (I've done pre-season player interviews) they're excited about the team and believe they're going to improve under the current coaching staff. The parents also have stated they couldn't be happier about the coaches and the program. Furthermore, we have a great group of girls and they've already started to bond well (we ran a two day camp just for that purpose). So I feel confident about that aspect of being the HC.
Where I'm having more of a hard time is the transition from 1st base coaching to 3rd base coaching while managing the game and keeping on top of the whole game. Both my AC and the former HC have told me that I really do need to be on the third base line giving the signs, and sending runners. I've had other former coaches tell me it doesn't really matter and I could have an AC at both bases so I get a better view of the entire field and have that little bit less on my mind so I can more effectively run the game.
We've only played two games so far, and I'm sure, like anything, I'm going to keep improving (it's a process, just like I tell the girls). But I'd appreciate any input or advise.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I would suggest that, just like your players, you need to practice giving signs. Sounds funny I know, in fact I used to practice in front of a mirror, just like we tell our players to do.

I would go to 3B only because you can manage the game as you see fit. I have seen HC giving signs from 1B side tho.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I'm probably in the minority, but I like the dugout as command central for the HC. Better able to focus on the big picture and monitor and adjust the players' and team's pulse from there. In the 1B and 3B coaching boxes you may not see a baserunner for an inning or more at a time. You can still dictate game strategy by giving signs to the base coaches.

Sep 17, 2009
You can very easily give signals to a third base coach re: important decisions, and also talk about general plans ahead of time. That empowers another coach and strengthens your staff. There's lot more coaching and game management to be done beyond what is done in that third base box, which of course is why MLB managers aren't out there, right?

: >

Good luck.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'm probably in the minority, but I like the dugout as command central for the HC. Better able to focus on the big picture and monitor and adjust the players' and team's pulse from there. In the 1B and 3B coaching boxes you may not see a baserunner for an inning or more at a time. You can still dictate game strategy by giving signs to the base coaches.

I agree with this, I am willing to give some control up to the ACs.

May 13, 2012
First yrs coaching young 8-10u I preffered 1st because I could see more of what they did batting,eys,hands etc and gave signals from there also. Moved to 3rd this yr at 12u for the simple reason I had parents questioning the AC decesions on when he did/did not send runners. I may not have ageeded but never questioned him and defended him to any questions. Now I don't have as many questions. I think it is a shame how some parents act and the crap coachs put up with. I would prefer to be in dugout to get better feel of what all is going on. On defense I call pitchs and AC adjusts outfield and 1st,2nd while I take care of corners. Of course I let him know if pitching a batter a certain way and he makes adjustment.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
First yrs coaching young 8-10u I preffered 1st because I could see more of what they did batting,eys,hands etc and gave signals from there also. Moved to 3rd this yr at 12u for the simple reason I had parents questioning the AC decesions on when he did/did not send runners. I may not have ageeded but never questioned him and defended him to any questions. Now I don't have as many questions. I think it is a shame how some parents act and the crap coachs put up with. I would prefer to be in dugout to get better feel of what all is going on. On defense I call pitchs and AC adjusts outfield and 1st,2nd while I take care of corners. Of course I let him know if pitching a batter a certain way and he makes adjustment.

Why don't you teach your catcher to call pitches?

May 17, 2012

I agree, teach the girls the game. Anytime I see a coach sitting on a bucket asking for an inside fastball two inches above the waist I laugh.

I am not saying you can't call for a specific pitch in a certain situation (pitch out, change up, etc) but let the girls figure it out.

I always tell my girls, "less of me and more of you is a good thing".

May 13, 2012

I am headed in that direction. Sometimes between innings or after games I talk to the pitchers and catchers about certain things and why I called what I did. The catcher now comes in sometimes saying I figured out what you where doing. This yr I plan on letting them work it out more often.

Jun 11, 2010
Gunner you get it!

I agree, teach the girls the game. Anytime I see a coach sitting on a bucket asking for an inside fastball two inches above the waist I laugh.

I am not saying you can't call for a specific pitch in a certain situation (pitch out, change up, etc) but let the girls figure it out.

I always tell my girls, "less of me and more of you is a good thing".

Our job as a coach is to teach. Catchers have a much better perspective on batter position and pitch delivery. As the manager, you can suggest a pitch and teach between innings, but just as the pitcher might call off a pitch, we need to respect the catcher's calls too.

I always tell my girls, "Practice time is my time, Game time is your time."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd