The power of the unrelated pitching post - Help where you don't expect it

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
My daughter started working on pre-load and overlap last night, and I immediately saw an issue which I was very familiar with before. When she would do the single rocker start with an arm swing, her glove hand/shoulder would turn forward and push everything towards her throwing arm side. Her PC has even mentioned it before. It has always been an issue previously, and the only way that I came up with to help her, was to have her minimize her swingback so that the glove would not get in the way and just shove both arms forward. If you look at the 15yo thread, you will see what my incorrect solution was (in her initial drive) and also how my solution was limiting her. Once again I was seeing the issue without any knowledge of what was causing it. Sluggers comment from an entirely different thread "in over hand throwing, the glove hand is used to start the momentum of the the throw. So, the pitcher tries to do the same thing led to an "Ahaa...could it be" moment. I then went and performed the motions together to see if there was any correlation between the two. I think there can be and is with my dd.

I don't know if it applies to girls with weak overhand throws. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, but I would encourage you to think thru what he wrote for yourself. So "Thanks Slugger", I'm looking forward to starting work with a double rocker to separate the two mechanics and give the front shoulder something to do in balance with the back one. My thoughts are that by keeping the glove farther away (with the double rocker), she won't have time to over-rotate her front shoulder when she drives out and I also am thinking some tension in the front shoulder can be a good thing. If I am way off base, please save me. :)

P.S. - I'm not worried about anyone seeing the ball with the double rocker, there is 8 other girls who probably want something to do also. :cool:

Here is the thread I found it in.

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/14865-effects-swimming-glove.html

is/are

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
The difference I see between the two is that Ueno seems to be rolling her front shoulder towards her mid-line and then moves it away while Ricketts looks like she is just turning her torso. Hard to tell at a moment in time vs motion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softball_1