The MOST basic hitting concept I don't see on this site

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
Timing. I ALWAYS see mechnics critiques. I see instruction and GIF's about how MLB hitters swing a bat. I see kids with pretty darn good swings where mom or dad is looking for advice on why their little girl can't actually hit a ball, despite having such a nice swing. The answer is that what the VERY BEST hitters have, regardless of how perfect, or unorthodox their swing may be is exceptional timing. The very best swing mechanics break down because the hitter does not have the concept of timing. Starting the lower half and keeping the hands and hips loaded until they see the pitch. Decide whether to go...or not to go. As a coach, I've seen monumental gains in my teams hitting by teaching timing. Teach them how to use "their swing" . Teach them to load and be ready to fire on every pitch....with "their swing". Teach them to keep the hands back, but commit the rest of the body to every pitch, and only throw the barrel at what they see as a hittable pitch...aka a strike. Teach this FIRST. You'll be amazed at how much more they are engaged in learning to tweak the mechanics once they can actually hit a ball consistantly with a decent bit of force. Teaching the optimal swing mechanics first...without teaching them how to use it, is backwards in my opinion. You can teach a kid to swing with proper timing in a few weeks..... just need to work on the right drills. You can teach them to hit a well thrown pitch... Then as they improve on actually hitting the ball....you break off and work on some mechanical improvements.

Jan 13, 2012
The thing is that while timing is important, by developing a high-level swing, you partially build timing into it. The best way to learn timing, of course, is to learn to swing against a moving ball.

Sep 17, 2009
I don't know if you teach timing ahead of mechanics, because that can burn in bad habits (ie, no use "learning" timing if you have a long swing), but I agree strongly with your main idea FrozenRope. Softball is about reps, and girls need reps to figure out their timing and feel confident about it -- time the pitcher, time the ball.

As for drills: after a team I work with had trouble timing up faster pitching in an indoor tournament this winter, I did a session with them working through their timing issues: 1) TIME THE BALL: Tewks halfway home drill for understanding the load in the unload and tight hand pivot for quick to the ball, 2) TIME THE PITCHER: front toss from about 15 feet where they'd slow-to-load on my underhand pull back and then I'd try to throw it by them so again they need to be quick to launch/to ball (you can use the same drill to teach changeup mechanics, they deepen their stretch as they wait for the slower-thrown changeup front-toss) 3) START TO FEEL SPEED: machine at a good speed using Barry Bonds drill, keep moving up to put pressure on sudden launch and timing, 4) TIME A REAL PITCHER: put it all together by hitting off a live pitcher in the cage, can't beat hitting live pitching to burn in timing (initial focus on lots of reps timing up fastballs, ie, the pitcher wasn't throwing varied pitches to throw off their timing...first they need to time up straightforward speed). Plus: a long walk/talk through of what timing the pitcher/timing the ball means so they understand the why and not just the how. I was happy with the session, I think the girls' confidence improved, which is half the battle.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Timing. I ALWAYS see mechnics critiques. I see instruction and GIF's about how MLB hitters swing a bat. I see kids with pretty darn good swings where mom or dad is looking for advice on why their little girl can't actually hit a ball, despite having such a nice swing. The answer is that what the VERY BEST hitters have, regardless of how perfect, or unorthodox their swing may be is exceptional timing. The very best swing mechanics break down because the hitter does not have the concept of timing. Starting the lower half and keeping the hands and hips loaded until they see the pitch. Decide whether to go...or not to go. As a coach, I've seen monumental gains in my teams hitting by teaching timing. Teach them how to use "their swing" . Teach them to load and be ready to fire on every pitch....with "their swing". Teach them to keep the hands back, but commit the rest of the body to every pitch, and only throw the barrel at what they see as a hittable pitch...aka a strike. Teach this FIRST. You'll be amazed at how much more they are engaged in learning to tweak the mechanics once they can actually hit a ball consistantly with a decent bit of force. Teaching the optimal swing mechanics first...without teaching them how to use it, is backwards in my opinion. You can teach a kid to swing with proper timing in a few weeks..... just need to work on the right drills. You can teach them to hit a well thrown pitch... Then as they improve on actually hitting the ball....you break off and work on some mechanical improvements.

I agree.. Teach the sequence first which allows for the timing to happen.. We all tend to get caught up with segments of the swing..

Oct 10, 2011
Yes I agree that teaching sequence is the best way to help timing, and good mechanics and sequence go hand in hand.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West

Love the way you think.
Agreed 100%

Mar 5, 2014

If your desire is to play much beyond rec league(High school, etc), you better maximize both. High level mechanics(HLM) increase your timing window(get on plane early, and and stay on plane through the ball) and enables you to hit the ball hard in all parts of the strike zone. HLM also allow you to still drive the ball if you are a little early/late.

Players with good timing and poor mechanics are sorted out as they move up to the next level, because good pitchers change speed, location, and movement. In softball, a player like this may can learn to be a slapper if they have enough speed, etc. Baseball players don't have that option.

I agree that timing is important, but teaching timing to someone with HLM is MUCH easier than teaching HLM to someone who has bad mechanics but good timing.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd