"The Insider bat "

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
are women built different then men?? Is the balence point different for women and men??
Should we expect all women and girls to swing like a MLB man hitters even though they were made different.

I made multiple posts on this message board including videos in which people like Mike Candrea, Sue Enquist, Bill Hillhouse, and other individuals have claimed that the swings are virtually the same. From my perspective, I don't believe in making excuses to not learn from male swings.

May 20, 2008
I apperciate your reply could you explain fusion when you say that i have no idea what your talking about.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Also can you explain the pinch foreare to bicep
i never heard of that before not from Mike Epstein, Steve Englishbey, Howard Carrier, Don Slaught, Chris Oleary maybe you know something that these great hitting coaches doint. please explain

If you study hitting instructors like Shawn Wooten, then you'll learn his use of the "Power-V" to mean the formation of a tight pinched rear forearm-to-bicep in the launch position. The pinched forearm-to-bicep will have a shape of a "Vee", and hence Shawn's use of the term "Power-V". Shawn goes on to promote maintaining a "Power-V" (a tight rear pinched forearm-to-bicep relationship) through the "RVP Connection Point" position.

If you study Jack Mankin, you'll learn his use of the "Power-V" term to mean the formation of a tight pinched rear forearm-to-bicep in what is shown as the "RVP Connection Point" position in the photo above.

If you study Chris Yeager, you'll learn that when he speaks of the cue "Down through the nipple", he does so such that the rear forearm-to-bicep is pinched in the position we've referred to as the RVP Connection Point position.

If you study Mike Epstein, you'll learn that he also will position players so as to have them passing through their swing with a pinched rear forearm-to-bicep in the torque position.

If you study Tom Emanski, you'll learn that he teaches a pinched rear forearm-to-bicep in what he refers to as the "Explosion Point" position ... again, the same as the RVP Connection Point position.

If you study the HI methodology, you'll learn that they teach a pinched rear forearm-to-bicep in what they term the Swearing-In Position ... again, the same as the RVP Connection Point position.

There are more. My point being .... it's a common concept to promote having a swing pass through the RVP Connection Point position with a pinched rear forearm-to-bicep relationship.

I'll include a video clip to help form a mental image of the what Mankin refers to as the Power-V position. Here's a video of Hamilton, in which I've highlighted the pinched rear forearm-to-bicep position as he passes through the RVP Connection Point position.

2rqmzdd.gif

IMO, this is important ... and there are good reasons that many hitting methodologies teach it.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I apperciate your reply could you explain fusion when you say that i have no idea what your talking about.

It's been explained multiple times at BBD (free), HI (subscription) and I'm told at EH (subscription). We can review it here as time permits, but if you are in a hurry, then you can read about it elsewhere.

In the mean time, understand that it is important to connect to the body's main power source. If you fail to connect to the body's rotation, then you'll find another means to power your swing, and often that will be the arms. The concept being, that you need to create, or fuse linkages, that assist in creating a connected swing and allow you to better tap into your body's main source of force generation.

CO, who now understands that connection is a series of actions, and not positions, can help you out by explaining how he teaches connection ... if he is willing. If not, then check out one of the other message boards, or wait until we have the time to go into the description again.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Quickly, and I've posted this elsewhere, I use the Insider Bat with the hitters I work with. At one point, 12 of the top 15 softball hitters in our area had spent time in a cage with me and the Insider Bat. I understand arguments pro and con presented in this thread. Most by people a lot smarter than me. Heck, I'm just a hick from the sticks. However, I believe my hitters have benefited. JMHO!

But you see CB, you probably know how to teach connection ... and to me, that's the value of the Insider Bat .... it provides instant feedback to a hitter that has a poorly connected swing. Just my opinion mind you.

Oct 14, 2008
I made multiple posts on this message board including videos in which people like Mike Candrea, Sue Enquist, Bill Hillhouse, and other individuals have claimed that the swings are virtually the same. From my perspective, I don't believe in making excuses to not learn from male swings.

You can Learn from mens swings, that I agree on, But I believe that there is a difference from a male to a female that is overlooked, a male is wider in the shoulders, hense his elbows can afford to be in tighter than a female can, He also dosent have breasts he has to contend with that the elbow has to clear, if you put a male and a female at contact they will look identical........ the difference is getting them to that point.

Tim

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I know that repeating this lie makes you feel superior to me, but in truth it's kind of sad.

I don't believe for a minute that I'm superior to you. I acknowledge that you are a highly intelligent individual. I personally believe you could be doing more to spread good information ... but that is just my opinion.

Oct 14, 2008
I did not say Widely,I said a Males shoulders are wider. That was your word not mine , I stated there is a difference and I believe there is, the slow mo in the first clip is what it is, I coach this young lady and I guarantee you at full speed her elbows are not widely displaced from her body and she hits the crap out of the ball, the rest of the clips are hitters taking actual swings. I dont know the premise of the first vid but it looks like she was trying to acheive a certain point in the swing not take an actual cut........... your comparing apples to oranges..... anyone that has ever instructed girls or women know there is a Physical difference between male and female athletes, and adjustments have to be made, what ever those adjustments are to get them to where they need to be at contact.
I have taken girls that are busty in your words and moved their hands slightly away from their body and seen swing speeds increase 5 to 7 mph......... If thats not a difference I dont know what is

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles