The flute player

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2018
I agree its little kids, that should get a chance.
However, there are also other little kids that give up other things, or dont do other things to keep their commitment. Believe it or not, even little kis can see favoritism. And dont always understand complicated reasoning.

I here it/ see it from both sides.
I agree with everything you say here. Especially about little ones seeing favoritism, and maybe worse what that teaches the favorite.

"Luckily" my rec league (Last year 10u and this year 12U) has everyone hit and a player cannot sit 2 innings in a row.

I say "Luckily" because it takes the discipline out of my hands. Frankly, I don't know what the discipline should be when I have no idea why that 9 year old is not at practice, or late for the game or whatever. If a conversation with the parents does not do the trick, how do you teach the parents without punishing the innocent?

BTW - I am an old Softy when it comes to REC as well. Travel is a whole different expectation.

Mar 28, 2014
You can say its just 8u rec....
But the complaint department office is full....
And possibly....just possibly
Rec ball issues are the worst;)
Should not be any complaint department in existence at 8u rec ball. As a coach you make that clear up front. You set the tone for the season before it starts.

"We are here to have fun. We are to to develop. We are here to let kids be kids. Notice that winning is not on the list? I'm a volunteer and you are not. We have openings for volunteers and listen to their feedback. We don't always act on it but we do listen. We do not listen to feedback from non-volunteers. Anyone want to volunteer?" :)

May 6, 2015
Even though it is a rec league there should be some sort of attendance policy. Signing up for a team sport is a commitment to the team no matter what age or competition level.

Even with playing time requirements the organization is only setting up its coaches for failure with no sort of attendance requirements.

the only way a coach in rec fails is if he treats the kids poorly, or is doing something blatantly wrong. rec is about kids getting exercise, learning a little about a sport, making friends, being part of a team, etc. Wins, Losses are the last things to judge a rec coach against.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
8u Rec kids wouldn't know favoritism if it bit them in the rear. They know what color flowers they are picking in the outfield though.
Decades of being involved in softball.
Yes they see! Yes they know!

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Should not be any complaint department in existence at 8u rec ball. As a coach you make that clear up front. You set the tone for the season before it starts.

"We are here to have fun. We are to to develop. We are here to let kids be kids. Notice that winning is not on the list? I'm a volunteer and you are not. We have openings for volunteers and listen to their feedback. We don't always act on it but we do listen. We do not listen to feedback from non-volunteers. Anyone want to volunteer?" :)
Wouldnt that be nice!!!!!
No complaining!!!!! :):):)

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Texasheat, you can say nope...
perhaps because you are unaware....but
When i see and hear young kids knowing it happens, listening to it happen again and again. Hearing how they go through the learning experience and how to deal with it
its real!

What they may not understand are the complicated reasonings behind it!!!!

May 6, 2015
8u Rec kids wouldn't know favoritism if it bit them in the rear. They know what color flowers they are picking in the outfield though.
probably not unless ti is real blatant, and also I don't think anyone was advocating favoring this little girl, just treating her fairly. and fair treatment does not always equal the SAME treatment for all, as everyone's circumstances are different.

these are 7 and 8 year olds.

hey, just consider yourself lucky you have been able to start outdoor practicing, here in NorthEast we will not get outside until early or mid march at earliest.

Mar 28, 2014
Texasheat, you can say nope...
perhaps because you are unaware....but
When i see and hear young kids knowing it happens, listening to it happen again and again. Hearing how they go through the learning experience and how to deal with it
its real!

What they may not understand are the complicated reasonings behind it!!!!
I'm guessing you coach 8u teams every year in addition to all of your other areas of expertise?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi