The end of the big leap?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
In March of this year, the NCAA put out a video showing illegal pitches. It is really draconian. If the push off foot is not in contact with the ground at any time, then it is an illegal pitch.

According to this video Delaney from NW was illegal. Additionally, it looks like Finch and Osterman both pitch illegally. Pauly, on the other hand, is legal.

Are the days of the big leap over?

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SY1YZ02mK3I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SY1YZ02mK3I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I think the biggest problem is the umpires. They all knew that it was illegal and many of chose not to call it. I can remember last years WCWS a pitcher from Georgia was consistently landing outside the plane of the pitching rubber. I am not sure if this is the truth but I heard when the plate ump was asked about it she told the opposing coach that she had a hard enough time calling balls and strikes without having to watch that. It was very obvious. I remember when I was umpiring, before my arthritis made it too hard at higher level ball, a pitcher in one league had a habit. After stepping on the pitching rubber he would put his hands together, swing the ball back, return it to his glove and begin his pitch. No one was calling it illegal, until I did. They protested, saying I misinterpreted the rule. Of course the lost the protest.

Mar 13, 2010
I think the biggest problem is the umpires. They all knew that it was illegal and many of chose not to call it.

I'll agree with this. When girls are allowed to get away with it as young pitchers, they won't stop.

Osterman and Finch have ALWAYS been illegal. I've seen them play over here, and we were sitting open-mouthed in the stands at how blatant it was. It was never called.

Are the days of the big leap over?

If their back foot leaves the ground, yes.

Jul 14, 2008
I think they should do away with the leap rule..........That would solve everything........It's legal for men......Make it legal for women.........

It's like someone came up with a rule to give themselves something to enforce..........And then.....They don't enforce it.......Why?......Because it's a rediculous rule........

Oct 12, 2009
I think the biggest problem is the umpires. They all knew that it was illegal and many of chose not to call it. I can remember last years WCWS a pitcher from Georgia was consistently landing outside the plane of the pitching rubber. I am not sure if this is the truth but I heard when the plate ump was asked about it she told the opposing coach that she had a hard enough time calling balls and strikes without having to watch that. It was very obvious. I remember when I was umpiring, before my arthritis made it too hard at higher level ball, a pitcher in one league had a habit. After stepping on the pitching rubber he would put his hands together, swing the ball back, return it to his glove and begin his pitch. No one was calling it illegal, until I did. They protested, saying I misinterpreted the rule. Of course the lost the protest.

I was at a GA versus South Carolina game where the SC coach objected to this pitcher (with pretty good reason).

The problem is, as stated, it's hard for the PU to make this call. Realistically, it can only be called when an ump has rotated to 2B.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The pitchers know they are illegal and their coaches know they are illegal.

Why you would go on television and let cameras show the fault, is beyond me.

And then, the coach argues that their pitcher is fine.

Maybe we should put a "pitching ump" out there and then, after three IPs, the pitcher is gone.

Mar 13, 2010
The problem is, as stated, it's hard for the PU to make this call.

Its pretty rare for a plate umpire to make these calls though. Its usually one of the base umpires.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Whether or not you think "leaping" and "crow hopping" should be legal is besides the point. You either teach the players to play within the rules or you don't. There is absolutely no excuse for a pitcher who is pitching illegally. I don't know how coaches, parents, and players can justify allowing their pitchers to continue to pitch illegally? Its either pure ignorance of the rules or they know its wrong and they continue to let it happen. I have said it before, but I firmly believe that pitchers have an extra level of responsibility to the game that other positions might not have.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Saw missouri valley championship Saturday. Creighton pitcher has an extreme crow hop every pitch. Other conference teams said that in late march she was called on illegal pitches dozens of times for about two weeks, then umps (after report of a letter from conference) stopped calling any illegal pitches.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrakesii