The DRop

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 10, 2010
A, A
My daughter (U14...pitching lessons for 2 years) was shown how to throw the drop for the 1st time today. After just a couple times of throwing it...she got it. I was catching and amazed ....that thing actually dropped LOL

Remember, we are new into this pitching thing...so I get excited easy by her learning new stuff

anyway, I was amazed at how fast she picked it up. By the end of the lesson, it was like she had been throwing it for a while now. Don't get me wrong, she didn't throw EVERY one perfect....she just seemed to learn it fast

So, my question.....is the drop one of the easier pitches for the girls to learn or did we maybe find her "special pitch" today

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
my DD is learning the other drop ( turnover? rollover?) and we started with just the grip and release. it is going to take awhile, but she's 11 and we have time.

Jul 26, 2010
The rollover definitely takes more time to learn, and will turn into more of a drop-curve if they get lazy. Not that a drop curve is a bad pitch, but a drop curve is on the swing plane of a low pitch, wheras a straight drop or a low curve ball is not, meaning the drop curve should be easier to hit.

-W

Nov 29, 2009
meaning the drop curve should be easier to hit.

It all depends on the break. My daughter threw a drop curve. When she had the umpires giving the outside corner she would get balls back from the defense all the time that had deep smiles in them from being tipped off of the end of the bat. Usually, when it was hit it was a routine grounder to 2nd base. Most times it was swung over.

The key for a drop curve to be successful is it needs to move after the hitter has made their decision when and where to swing at. The later and sharper the break the better the results.

Jul 26, 2010
It all depends on the break. My daughter threw a drop curve. When she had the umpires giving the outside corner she would get balls back from the defense all the time that had deep smiles in them from being tipped off of the end of the bat. Usually, when it was hit it was a routine grounder to 2nd base. Most times it was swung over.

The key for a drop curve to be successful is it needs to move after the hitter has made their decision when and where to swing at. The later and sharper the break the better the results.

Great point, Sparky. They're also extremely effective on left handed batters.

-W

May 7, 2008
I've had some girls learn the rollover real quickly. i always said it cause my teaching was so good....just kidding. A lot depends n having good solid mechanics, open hips and doing a ton of spins before ever trying to do it with a ball. I use the spinner thing to help learn the rollover drop spin. But not everyone learns quick, so just be happy it came quickly.

Nov 29, 2009
Great point, Sparky. They're also extremely effective on left handed batters.

-W

Daughter used to throw drop curves to slappers all the time. If a pitcher has the confidence to throw the DC it removes a lot of the slappers options. It makes them put the ball in play on the right side of the infield and they have less control over where they place the ball.

Oct 22, 2009
I've had some girls learn the rollover real quickly. i always said it cause my teaching was so good....just kidding. A lot depends n having good solid mechanics, open hips and doing a ton of spins before ever trying to do it with a ball. I use the spinner thing to help learn the rollover drop spin. But not everyone learns quick, so just be happy it came quickly.

I hear ya! I have a new student that has 3 pitches and no drop. I asked why and she said she couldn't learn it. I LOVE a challenge! She starts drops at our next lesson!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pitch Machine Pros