The dangers of over pitching your 10-12 YOs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 28, 2008
Early in the spring I watched a 12U baseball tournament and I did not remember seeing a pitcher throw more than 3 innings in any one game. Then next week I watched a 10U softball team play who finished second in the tournament and the same 10 YO girl threw all 7 games every pitch including 4 games in one day.

The coach should be banned! There is a reason they call 10U developmental. Develop some other pitchers!

May 13, 2012
How many innings are they being pitched for the sake of 1st place plaque or plastic trophy. I played this weekend. 5 games pitched 4 pitchers 1 hr time limits. pitcher A game full game,2nd game pitcher B full, 3rd game pitcher C 1 1/3 inning pulled A finished, 4th game pitcher B, 5th game pitcher D full. Pretty much that way all year. we are 12u low b team and I think getting mound time is more important than plaques. I also move a lot of girls around to get more postitions time.

Aug 14, 2011
The concern is not just how much they pitch during games. All these kids probably go home and practice for hours and hours during the week. Most take lessons. That can add considerably to the number of pitches thrown. My daughter quit pitching at age 15. I remember one Sunday where she pitched 3 1/2 games because the other pitchers were "struggling" and she was "on". And I guarantee you, she probably rested on Monday but went right back to practicing by Tuesday. An injury to her elbow (not from pitching) finally forced a four month rest and she decided to not pitch anymore. But we were, sadly, a big part of allowing her to overuse her arm. We now demand downtime from her hitting and playing.

Jan 26, 2012
A, A
I remember reading once that the softball pitching motion is "more natural" than a baseball pitching motion and not as hard on the body, which might explain some of the higher pitch counts in softball than baseball.

Having said that, I also think a combination of factors contribute to individual girls pitching too many innings. The issues are a combination of under educated softball coaches, less access to pitching coaches and a harder pitch to learn.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
the softball pitching motion is "more natural"

That was once true. In 1933, the ball was pitched with an underhand motion similar to slow pitch. That is what can be done all day long. Then, over the decades that pitch started to evolve. Pitchers were still throwing pretty hard, using a sling shot motion, when the men's side started the windmill. Actually, windmill pitchers have been using their arms pretty hard for the last 20 years. But, you will still hear that it is a more natural motion. There is nothing natural about it.

Apr 13, 2009
Central Illinois
The coach should be banned! There is a reason they call 10U developmental. Develop some other pitchers!

Coached 10U last year and attended the NSA B WS. Saw 85% of the teams play and don't remember one that didn't start the same pitcher each game. We started 3 in 7 games over a 3-4 day span. Most of the top teams at state were the same way. My daughter was our #1, but there is no way I would pitch her every game.

Apr 24, 2012
That was once true. In 1933, the ball was pitched with an underhand motion similar to slow pitch. That is what can be done all day long. Then, over the decades that pitch started to evolve. Pitchers were still throwing pretty hard, using a sling shot motion, when the men's side started the windmill. Actually, windmill pitchers have been using their arms pretty hard for the last 20 years. But, you will still hear that it is a more natural motion. There is nothing natural about it.

Wow I heard the same thing from a bunch of people and coaches. So Amy I have an 8 yo started pitching at the end of last summer with A pc that gave her bad mechanics. She didn't pitch a lot and didn't throw the whole winter. I found this site and figured out she was not the right PC for her. We found a good PC from this site and she improved drastically. She is now 1 of the 2 best pitchers in the league. She pitched for her All Star travel in almost all the games but during Travel ball we barely practiced at home.
So My question to you is what would you recommend for a girl that young? This winter I planned on taking her to gym and throwing once or twice a week.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
One part of the equation is to find out what other sports she is playing. Volleyball is as hard on the arm, as softball. And I do like to see little girls play other sports that their school is offering. But, all athletes need some full days of rest. In softball, an 8 yo could work practically every day. Day 1 overhand throw, day 2 rest, Day 3 hitting, Day 4 pitching, Day 5 rest, etc. Everything in moderation. Remember that we used to play outside everyday and we didn't throw our arms out.

I suggest warming up and then, 50 pitches as a guide line for practicing with an 8yo.

I do run across girls as young as 8yo, that I have to say "I do not want you to touch a softball tomorrow. Ride your bike, or swim. But do not throw a ball."

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors