The 43 ft. HS distance appears to be having the desire effect

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Back when the National Federation announced it was moving the high school pitching distance to 43 ft., the main reason cited by most pundits was they wanted to get more offense in the game. At 40 ft. the pitchers were dominating, and it was believed that moving the pitching rubber back three feet might change that. While the change doesn't go into effect officially until the 2011 season, many states adopted it immediately, including Illinois, where I live.

Now that we're a couple of weeks into the season it looks like the move is having the desired effect. Where normally pitchers are ahead of the hitters in the early part of the season, I've been seeing a lot of double-digit scores in games in the Chicago suburbs. Certainly a lot more than in the past.

What's really been interesting is it seems to have had the most profound effect on the "power" pitchers -- the girls who relied primarily on their speed to get them by. It doesn't seem to have affected the ones who can top 60 mph regularly, but they are few and far between. For those in the mid-to-upper 50s, however, it's made a big difference.

I can think of one in particular. She has been a stud on varsity since she was a freshman. She was highly touted in the newspapers, and always racked up great numbers for strikeouts and ERA. I never quite understood how, since I saw little movement on her ball and while she threw hard she didn't throw that hard. Apparently, though, she threw hard enough to dominate at 40 ft.

Now, maybe she has something else going on too and this is just a coincidence. But as I look in the box scores and summaries in the local paper, her numbers have inflated considerably. She is giving up 10-12 runs per game, and maybe striking out one or two hitters most of the time. It's not all errors either. I see double-digit hits and maybe a couple of errors in the box score. She just doesn't seem to be as effective now that she's a senior.

That seems odd to me. If anything, you'd think she'd be better now than her freshman year. Again, maybe there's an injury or something going on. But my guess is it's the distance. She just can't blow it by the hitters as easily as she used to.

What's really unfortunate for the team is they have one of those coaches who never bothered to develop anyone else. If her team played 250 innings, she pitched 250 innings. Now, when she could use a little help, there's no one there to help her. If the other team catches on to her, she has to stand there and take the beating. You would figure a change of pace of any sort ought to at least slow things down for a bit. But they don't have that option, so there have been a lot of lopsided scores.

This seems pretty consistent throughout our area. Scores are rising, ERAs are rising, and strikeout numbers are falling. The fans are definitely seeing more offense (except from the really poor hitting teams), and more players are involved throughout the game. Time will tell if this is a good thing. In the meantime, pitchers start working more on your movement. You're going to need it.

More...

Sep 17, 2009
Ken, my DD played (and won) a 22-8 game the other day, never saw so many line drives!

I agree, it is tough on the pitchers both physically and mentally; girls that could throw complete games every day certainly can't do that if they are giving up more hits/runs. And you definitely see former studs wondering what the heck is going on? If you can't hit spots and don't have a plan you're in serious trouble as a pitcher. Also puts pressure on teams to make another 6-8 plays per game versus strikeouts.

It's funny, I did not see this big of a difference in past years when my DD's travel teams went from 16U 40 feet to college exposure 43 feet. I think the big impact is on the high school game, particularly here in the midwest where I know we both are.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Is there a list of which states have switched to 43 ft. already? VA has not, but I live pretty close to NC. I'd love to see some games thrown at 43 ft. to see if that makes a big difference.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
We adopted 43' this year in TN. At first I was the worst fan of this move. read my older posts :) But knock on wood, my DD just came off 3 strained tendons in the rotator cuff last week. Has pitched 4 games and not given up a run yet. She is averaging 2 k's an inning, and has a great defense behind her. She is a freshman pitching varsity.

We are 12-1 and face the runner up for the state championship ( 2009 ) next week. That should really tell me where we are at, and where the HS team is going.

She is struggling with the rise at 43'. Had a good one at 40. But the screw, curve and off speed are really fooling the batters at 43.

I feel it will take a year or so for some of the past dominate pitchers to adapt.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
We are playing at 43 feet and I have been a proponent of it. However, we are noticing that teams that had "poor pitching" now have terrible pitching. In other words, it is lob ball. We don't have but one team on our schedule that way from an old conference our school used to play in but that day was terrible. We won 28-0 with our coach asking runners to leave the base early. The Umpires refused to call it for a while. My dd averaged right at 7.5 strikeouts per game last year. Right now, she is at 6.8. She has noticed however, that she is not striking out as many. Still, she is a ground ball pitcher and is getting a lot of them. The three or four power pitchers in our area are not seeing any difference in their stats.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
We are playing at 43 feet and I have been a proponent of it. However, we are noticing that teams that had "poor pitching" now have terrible pitching. In other words, it is lob ball. We don't have but one team on our schedule that way from an old conference our school used to play in but that day was terrible. We won 28-0 with our coach asking runners to leave the base early. The Umpires refused to call it for a while. My dd averaged right at 7.5 strikeouts per game last year. Right now, she is at 6.8. She has noticed however, that she is not striking out as many. Still, she is a ground ball pitcher and is getting a lot of them. The three or four power pitchers in our area are not seeing any difference in their stats.

28-0? You don't have a mercy rule in your state?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
There is one, but you have to play five innings. (We're both in Illinois, although different parts of the state.) I think it's eight after five. It can be pretty painful getting to five innings when there's that type of mismatch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi