The 13yo female pitching LL baseball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
There is an ESPN 30 special about a kid from WA who had a fantastic LLWS showing and how his life turned to crap after. The expectations were to high and he just wanted to play. I think his name was Cody Webster. Sad story.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
There is an ESPN 30 special about a kid from WA who had a fantastic LLWS showing and how his life turned to crap after. The expectations were to high and he just wanted to play. I think his name was Cody Webster. Sad story.

From what I have seen he seems happy and certainly not into having a pity party.

"I'm not bitter about it. I wouldn't change a thing." - Cody Webster

I think the young lady will be fine as long as a bunch of adults don't tell her how awful things are for her.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
From what I have seen he seems happy and certainly not into having a pity party.

"I'm not bitter about it. I wouldn't change a thing." - Cody Webster

I think the young lady will be fine as long as a bunch of adults don't tell her how awful things are for her.

Excellent point.

At 13, the athletic difference between the girls and boys is very small. In fact, the girls tend to mature faster, which can be an advantage at that age.

As adults, that is a different story. For example, Chris Everett used to practice against her brother. He was a much better tennis player. He never broke the top 100 for men, and she got to #1 for women.

The chances of her pitching in the Majors are about 0. OTOH, she is a very athletic girl who can go far in life.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Excellent point.

At 13, the athletic difference between the girls and boys is very small. In fact, the girls tend to mature faster, which can be an advantage at that age.

As adults, that is a different story. For example, Chris Everett used to practice against her brother. He was a much better tennis player. He never broke the top 100 for men, and she got to #1 for women.

The chances of her pitching in the Majors are about 0
. OTOH, she is a very athletic girl who can go far in life.

That is good news for her. Her chances are no worse than any of the other kids playing Little League. :)

Remember that the job of MLB baseball players is not to .300, throw 95mph fastballs, and make great defensive plays. It is to fill the stands, get tv ratings, sell jerseys and little bobble head dolls. Something that this young lady or some other may be able to do quite well in the not too distant future. With baseball in a headlong slide toward obscurity we will see some very different things to keep the business viable.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Despite the results she is all that and a bag of chips. Unfortunately it appears that she was pitching against the LL equivalent of the 1927 Yankees. :)

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I'm finding that I'm not as interested in her story as one might expect. It's very impressive, no doubt, but I'm just not that surprised by what girls can do in sports nowadays. Four years ago, I saw a girl her same age (rising 8th grader) throw a softball underhanded at 64 mph. Is that not just as impressive as throwing a baseball overhand at 70 mph? This baseball pitcher is very cool, but I imagine there are at least a few very cool softball players her age that are just as talented in their own way, whether it's their arm, or power, or speed, or ability to hit line drives over and over. If all the age 12-13 girls who play softball had been playing baseball all this time, you'd have more girls playing in the LLWS and it wouldn't be that noteworthy when one did. Not at all saying that Mo'ne Davis isn't special. She looks pretty good to me and deserves the attention she's getting. But she's not some once-in-a-lifetime talent. If more girls went the baseball route, I think America would be surprised what the cream of that crop could do. Remember this is the LLWS, not the travel baseball national championships. Lot of softball girls have the talent to play that level, and a few would be stars on their teams.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
Perfect setup for a sporting company to come out with a throws like a girl commercial. I would hope they include both her and a fastpitch pitcher.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
Couldn't agree more with CoogansBluff...I found myself wondering whether she'd be considered a "special talent" on a top-level fastpitch team, or even on the Robbinsville team that won the Little League Softball World Series. Most of the best female players at that age are playing softball, not baseball. It's no wonder it's unusual to have a girl pitching on a baseball team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors