Thanks for the advice concerning playing up.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2008
This winter I posted on here seeking advice concerning my just turned 14 year old DD moving up with her team to 16U ball. We are well into the season (13 games), and my daughter is glad she took a chance, faced a little bit of fear, and took the leap.

She has been challenged, and has been fairly successful. She has done well against 16U teams, and the last 4 games were against 18U teams. She has faced 2 of the 3 toughest teams she will likely see this season until nationals, and had 6 earned runs against her between both teams. I know some of you will say that is a lot, but she will get more chances now that the fear is gone, and sees that they are softball players, just like her.

Last weekend, she told me she would not want to go back to 14U. She watched a little bit of a few games and said those 1st year 14's don't have a clue, lol.

Alot of you gave me advice (you know who you are), some against moving up, but most were for it. I can't say it is for every girl. It is based on the individual, and their future goals. For DD, this is to prep her for high school ball. Our conference is very tough (has the #1 team in the state), and it is very tough to get on our H.S. team. I've been told there are only 2 spots open, so she is going to have to be prepared.

Thanks to everyone who shared their experiences.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Sounds like your DD is having fun at the higher level; good for her :)

...and congratulations to her too. 6 earned runs for a first time against better (maybe MUCH better) hitters is success. Now she knows what she is up against and will hopefully work hard to win in the circle.

May 13, 2008
Nice! My DD played up last year and it was a great decision for her. You don't get better by playing it safe. Hopefully this will be a good life lesson for her as well.

Dec 19, 2008
Nice! My DD played up last year and it was a great decision for her. You don't get better by playing it safe. Hopefully this will be a good life lesson for her as well.

You're right about playing it safe. She was starting to pitch a little harder. And we started to talk about not being so cautious with her pitches.

Then comes the 18's and a little bit of fear. Throws less cautious (more balls - which I insisted upon), the change, and the drop a lot more. But, loses some speed as well. Like I said earlier, she pitched well - even against the 18's. I just can't wait to see less caution with the speed.

*Then I can say "dad was right, huh?" :D But, she always says "I will never say you were."

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Glad to hear she's doing well! playing up will only make her better. If she loves the game, which it sounds like she does, it will make her work harder. Congrats on her success, I'm sure there will be more to come!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA