Tewks AB hitting video series begins

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Well - I understand what you are saying, but I think referring to the hips having a "pendulum" action isn't a good term. Yes, they rotate, but unlike a pendulum, which moves smoothly and equally slow back and forward, a hitter's uncoil is an agressive, explosive move so I don't think its a good analogy for those who have a more literal learning style. Just a point of semantics FWIW

People need to use terms that fit their coaching style and work for them. Ted used the "pendulum" analogy to reinforce the idea that the hips have to be turned back before they are turn forward. When you start a pendulum you first pull it back to get it started. I have learned that this back and forth action is extremely important for a number of reasons. Few teach it at the youth level. Some get it coached out of them. I think I coached it out of my daughter.

Here is Sanberg of Georgia. Watch the zippers on her pockets to see the back and forth action that Ted was talking about. This is the common action I'm starting to notice with some of the players in my area that hit for more power than their size would indicate.

w015bm.gif

Regarding the explosiveness of the hip turn, that's another subject for another day.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA

This is a great clip. Nice to put it up on line. Love to hear guys talking about how they think about and approach hitting.

I just became a Chris Colabello fan. So cool to think about a guy like Tewks who had some success but then realized he wished he had known more when he was playing, then his instruction intersecting with a guy in his mid-20s who maybe has time to undo some of the things he was taught. I hope he gets a chance with a club and sticks.

Would also be interested to hear how Chris came to adopt the open stance. The more I worked with young kids the more it seems there are numerous benefits to this approach for hitters with certain hurdles. You see a fair amount of guys like Keppinger here in SF who use this stance.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
People need to use terms that fit their coaching style and work for them. Ted used the "pendulum" analogy to reinforce the idea that the hips have to be turned back before they are turn forward. When you start a pendulum you first pull it back to get it started. I have learned that this back and forth action is extremely important for a number of reasons. Few teach it at the youth level. Some get it coached out of them. I think I coached it out of my daughter.

Here is Sanberg of Georgia. Watch the zippers on her pockets to see the back and forth action that Ted was talking about. This is the common action I'm starting to notice with some of the players in my area that hit for more power than their size would indicate.

w015bm.gif

Regarding the explosiveness of the hip turn, that's another subject for another day.

Wellphyt ... do me a favor and review the video below ... and then see if you find similarities to Sanberg's swing above.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp