Terrible Umpires, IMO, need to work the concessions.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
The difference, as I see it, is that most coaches are volunteer. not all, but at least around here, the vast majority. Obviously parents aren't getting paid, we're paying out the nose. Umpires are getting paid to do a job. I believe in doing your job well & correctly, whatever it is. That goes for counter boy at McDonald's or Microsoft CEO and everything in between. I realize a very large percentage of people don't give a crap whether they do a good job or not but that doesn't mean that's OK with me.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
AMEN.

Umpires and sports officials are easy targets and get the most heat. I think its the American culture.

Wonder why we don't hear more:

"Coach! That was horrible! You should have had her bunt, not swing away!"

"C'mon, coach. . . you can't be serious. . . "

"Coach, that's not right! The rule says (fill in blank)"

"Dad! What're you thinking? You in the same game?"

"Mom?! You let your kid speak/act that way? You need to get some better training!"

Why don't you hear these things? I have heard them whispered, I have heard those things in my own head in fact. But why aren't they yelled out loud?

Partly because of the big fence between the umps and the complaining parents. There isn't a fence between 2 moms, one of whom might think the other ones child could use some better home training. But there isn't a big fence in between them, so...

Nov 1, 2013
It is clear on this discussion board that all umpires are lumped into the same group.

The spectrum is far reaching out there in the "umpire world" and the general comments made on our friendly discussion board paints a picture that all umpires are the same.

The umpire group for one league is all volunteer; to a group of teenagers getting a small payment per game with only being provided an one-hour overview of the rules and umpire mechanics; to a group of adults that a local league recruits that also only get an one-hour overview and no on-going training with minimal pay; to umpire associations that range in quality in training, supervision, guidance and mentorship to their umpire members as well as game fees.

Trust me umpires are not the same and each of you really know that.

From being a member of the "blue culture" for many years I have experienced all levels of the softball world. There are quality individuals that have an umpire support system that provides training; guidance; coaching and mentorship. And, there are inept individuals disguising themselves as umpires without any support system at all. It doesn't take very long to figure out who is who.

The "blue culture" is shrinking each year with fewer and fewer individuals willing to invest in the time, energy and cost of be a quality umpire as well as the verbal comments made at every game. The younger generation is not stepping forward to fill our growing umpire gaps and the future of the fastpitch world has challenges it must overcome.

It is time to be part of the solution.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
The most frustrating umpires are the ones who want "middle middle" for a called strike. Don't umps believe that 12U pitchers can throw movement to the corners? Squeezing a pitcher to throw middle for strikes is going to lead to hard hit balls right back at the pitcher. It happened a few times this weekend and our pitcher took one off her throwing hand because of it. This is a kid who throws primarily screwballs and curves who then had to switch to fastballs because she wasn't getting any calls.

Mar 15, 2014
It is clear on this discussion board that all umpires are lumped into the same group.

The spectrum is far reaching out there in the "umpire world" and the general comments made on our friendly discussion board paints a picture that all umpires are the same.

The umpire group for one league is all volunteer; to a group of teenagers getting a small payment per game with only being provided an one-hour overview of the rules and umpire mechanics; to a group of adults that a local league recruits that also only get an one-hour overview and no on-going training with minimal pay; to umpire associations that range in quality in training, supervision, guidance and mentorship to their umpire members as well as game fees.

Trust me umpires are not the same and each of you really know that.

From being a member of the "blue culture" for many years I have experienced all levels of the softball world. There are quality individuals that have an umpire support system that provides training; guidance; coaching and mentorship. And, there are inept individuals disguising themselves as umpires without any support system at all. It doesn't take very long to figure out who is who.

The "blue culture" is shrinking each year with fewer and fewer individuals willing to invest in the time, energy and cost of be a quality umpire as well as the verbal comments made at every game. The younger generation is not stepping forward to fill our growing umpire gaps and the future of the fastpitch world has challenges it must overcome.

It is time to be part of the solution.
That is definitely true.
I gave up umping men's softball real fast because of the abuse.
Once my umpire associations went to 1099's it was no longer economical feasible for me to work high level travel games where zero tolerance was usually the law of the fields.
I tried to fill in the time with CYO/Rec leagues who pay cash but between the parents and coaches constantly screaming about rules-- which they really did not understand-- and calls that it became absurd.
And yes, my last rec game was 12U.
So now I just do HS softball and help out at my local youth organization as a volunteer umpire and trainer of young umpires.
It costs lots of time, training and money to become a quality umpire and sometimes I would laugh if the expenditure was worth it when I was doing yet another walk-a-thon 10U game for $50.
No more for me--I am pretty much done.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2014
The most frustrating umpires are the ones who want "middle middle" for a called strike. Don't umps believe that 12U pitchers can throw movement to the corners? Squeezing a pitcher to throw middle for strikes is going to lead to hard hit balls right back at the pitcher. It happened a few times this weekend and our pitcher took one off her throwing hand because of it. This is a kid who throws primarily screwballs and curves who then had to switch to fastballs because she wasn't getting any calls.
Really now...

Opening up the strike zone leads to tremendous arguments from coaches and the peanut gallery screaming, "How is that a strike!" Or, "Swing baby--Blue is tired and wants to go home!"
When things got really out of hand I would start calling a top level 18U zone in. 12U game.
That would shut them up--except for the groaning.

Last edited:
Umpires are no different than the rest of society. Some are very good, some are average, and some are horrible. I feel bad for some of the good ones when parents who don't know or understand the rules give them a hard time. If I am coaching, or even sometimes as a spectator, I will go out of my way to let blue know s/he is appreciated after the game.

Another dynamic that I just found out is that our local rec (ASA affiliated) no longer has "Junior Umpires" or will not allow anyone on the field that is under 18 that is not a player. You either are playing the game or you are a coach/umpire with a laundry list of clearances. Our local Pres tells me that all the alphabet soup orgs are headed this way if they are not already. This will obviously eliminate some portion of future umpires from the pool.

I have no problem with umps, especially younger umps, who miss a call here or there when they are trying to get better. It's the ones who are clearly biased (usually rec), think it's all about them (not that many), or just don't give a damn (more and more common IME) that need to ask themselves if they are doing the best job they can when they step on the field.

To ORBlue's point, once we got through 8U, all games rec games have used ASA umpires. I don't know if there are different levels of umpiring certification, but our 10U umps have some sort of ASA patch, and many are PIAA (PA) patched as well. Certainly, anyone who rides unpaid non-patch volunteer umps, or youth umps in training, needs to head to the car.

The whole umpire shortage is a problem without a good solution that promises to get worse as youth sports (all sports) explodes.

Nov 1, 2013
Valid comments Swim Coach.

But, USA (ASA) patches come from registering with that organization, taking the umpire test (if the local group requires it). That test is taken annually (if taken), but the patch remains with that individual umpire.

There is no requirement to receive any training on rules or umpire mechanics. USA (ASA) has a very good umpire training system if the local group uses it. That actual training depends on the local group to provide that training and learning environment as well as scheduling Umpire Clinics and Schools as part of USA (ASA) provides. Those USA (ASA) Umpire Clinics do have registration fees and often require individuals to travel to their location.

Patches are a dime a dozen and documents nothing about the umpire quality; training; supervision or mentoring. It is what is out there.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
When things got really out of hand I would start calling a top level 18U zone in. 12U game.

Why is your strike zone for 18U different than it is for 12U? As I understand it, the rule book defines the strike zone, and is the umpire's duty to do their best to make pitch calls based on the defined zone. It shouldn't matter what age or competency-level the players are.

Last edited:
Thanks ORBlue, I know our rec Pres is actually the head blue for the whole league and he is a very good umpire, very fair. He's done several of our rec games over the years and much like me coaching my kid, we probably get less benefit of the doubt than the other team and he sort of sets the bar as to what I expect, or at least what I think our umpires should aspire to be. I do know our umpires take the test at least once. I know they usually have them work with an experienced umpire to start. Ongoing education, mechanics, that I don't know. We've had everything from a girl we call Tinkerbell who is about 19 that has her BF stand behind the cage to tell her what to call and I've seen her text him between innings for advice (I kid you not) to 65 year old guys who work 12U games by themselves that move so quick it seems like they get to first faster than the batter. A wide gamut, like anything.

Our school ones are the ones that irritate me the most. They are the highest paid and seem more disinterested in the games each year, and more interested in the check. :(

Thank goodness, most of our local TB umpires are pretty good.

Valid comments Swim Coach.

But, USA (ASA) patches come from registering with that organization, taking the umpire test (if the local group requires it). That test is taken annually (if taken), but the patch remains with that individual umpire.

There is no requirement to receive any training on rules or umpire mechanics. USA (ASA) has a very good umpire training system if the local group uses it. That actual training depends on the local group to provide that training and learning environment as well as scheduling Umpire Clinics and Schools as part of USA (ASA) provides. Those USA (ASA) Umpire Clinics do have registration fees and often require individuals to travel to their location.

Patches are a dime a dozen and documents nothing about the umpire quality; training; supervision or mentoring. It is what is out there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles