Tell Parent Kid Doesn't want to Catch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Cut her.

:D

Yeah, I tend to leave those conversations to the girls. I might point my DD to tell the other girl that she should discuss with her parents and/or coach.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
503 said:
I would suggest a sit-down with the kid to flush out why she hates catching. During that meeting, I'd stress how important catchers are, how they are the natural leaders of the team, and how they are really the most important player on the field.

If that doesn't bring her around, I'd invite the parent into the conversation with a discussion of whether a secondary position is a good idea.

But I can tell you this. The older you get, the more brutal the position is. Our daughter just finished the second year of 16U travel ball, where she platooned at catcher. In school ball she caught probably 90% of the team's innings. So far she had suffered a stress fracture in her foot, rotator-cuff and biceps tendon tendinitis, a broken finger, and a dislocated thumb. Every one of these injuries required rehab. In addition, we live in the South, and catchers have to wear gear that makes them the hottest player on the field. Further, being a catcher is a pressure-cooker. People will grumble about her when she doesn't throw out runners, even when the throw is perfect. Infielders don't make errors, the catcher screws up. The same goes with balls that hit the backstop (most people don't understand the distinction between a passed ball and a wild pitch). Good catchers will ALWAYS blame themselves even when the mistake clearly isn't theirs.

So you've got to be cut out physically and mentally to be a good catcher. It isn't easy. In fact, typing this there's no wonder that Op's 12-year-old doesn't like it.
Just to share flipside perspective on the above posted suggestion...

Hmmm not certain about the approach to
"Flush out answers"
from someone elses kid....
That seems like the kids parents job!
Then to say these things
1. Catchers are the leader.
2. Catchers are most important.
Could be HEAVY WEIGHT to put on a player.
While i agree its nice when catchers also develop or naturally enjoy leadership role,
Pushing that button at a concerned moment may not be helpful, even possibly more deterent.
Then saying catcher is most important could stress that if you play somewhere else, you wont BE as important.

Just sharing...remember at some point the kid will have to face her parents...at that point...
While this intervention conversation may have good intensions...it may only throw a misdirected log on the fire.
"Her dad said this to me...."
Now the parent could have the notion another parent (outside the family) triggured some of this.
And or
Could give reasons to fuel her reasonings to avoid catching....

Nahhh i would not start up a conversation with the other kid.

If anything let it go and let her life teach her lessons!

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Just to share flipside perspective on the above posted suggestion...

Hmmm not certain about the approach to
"Flush out answers"
from someones else kid....
Uhhh that seems like the kids parents job!
Then to say these things
1. Catchers are the leader.
2. Catchers are most important.
Could be HEAVY WEIGHT to put on a player.
While i agree its nice when catchers also develop or naturally enjoy leadership role,
Pushing that button at a concerned moment may not be helpful, even possibly more deterent.
Then saying catcher is most important could stress thst if you play somewhere else, you wont BE as important.
And some people just don't like being catchers.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
For what it's worth, when my daughter was 11, it was a sport just trying to keep up with her likes and dislikes. Generally speaking, this was the typical year, with a bunch of other opinions mixed in...

March -- I hate basketball. It's time for softball
June -- Softball is cool, but I kind of miss basketball
August -- I hate softball, it's time for basketball
December -- Basketball is cool, but I kind of miss softball.
March -- I hate basketball. It's time for softball

She went through cycles like this until she was 15 years old. I have no idea if this is the case with the OP, but just because a 12u player states that she hates catching, doesn't actually mean that she hates catching.

Dec 11, 2010
In a few short years, being able to say “I can catch too” becomes a very valuable thing to almost any team she may wish to join.

Don‘t enable the player to make a decision at 12, at the hardest moment of time in a players season, that she may regret forever.

Let it ride. At least for a bit.

May 23, 2015
In a few short years, being able to say “I can catch too” becomes a very valuable thing to almost any team she may wish to join.

Don‘t enable the player to make a decision at 12, at the hardest moment of time in a players season, that she may regret forever.

Let it ride. At least for a bit.
Catchers are at a premium especially when they get north of 14yo.

Apr 28, 2014
My 14 year old would say I dont want to pitch anymore
Then drag me outside in 100 degree weather to pitch for 2 hours
Kids change their minds like the wind changes direction.
Dont sweat it

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Cut her some slack.

If a kid is feeling that, the only way to find out if it's true is........ Maybe she will come back, maybe not. At least she is offered the dignity to make choices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie