Tell Parent Kid Doesn't want to Catch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 17, 2017
So. my kid tells me her best friend said

"I HATE Catching I just can't tell my Dad since I'm so far into it"

Go...........

May 6, 2015
she should have a discussion with her coach or parent about why she hates catching. this time of year, a lot of catchers seem to hate catching (this week has been brutally hot and humid). ;)

but if she truly hates the position, he should allow her to change.

couple questions, what age/level? has she nailed a BR yet. I can tell you that that first time nailing a BR becomes a pivotal moment in young catchers development. it really makes them think they are more than a ball blocking and return system for the pitcher.

Nov 17, 2017
She's a pretty good 12 yo 12u player who throws runner out.

It is a brutal position. I told my kid from 8 years old... NEVER agree to catch....lol

Sep 19, 2018
Your childs best friend? How friend are you with her parents? There are other parents I'd feel comfortable 'alerting', and others I might not be.
cmn

Nov 17, 2017
Your childs best friend? How friend are you with her parents? There are other parents I'd feel comfortable 'alerting', and others I might not be.
cmn

Decent friends but.... We're not on the same Travel team and losing the #1 catcher in the middle of Travel season in a pretty big Weight

I'm leaning towards shutting up - because I don't think the Kid will want to be known as the quitter who left her team with a hole at catcher....or even watch as her team scrambles to fil her place.

Maybe wait 4 weeks till this "season" wraps up and tryouts start again so the team can regroup.

I just feel so bad for her.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Heres one of those lifes conundrums.
12 year olds talking to 12 year olds.
Does a non-parent intercede/interfere with another parents kid?
(imo not in this situation
Its not life threatening)

imo this isn't about the
'news you heard' second hand.
This is about how your own daughter should respond to HER friend!

The op's kid has talked to their own parent. Thats great! And possibly the best lesson/advice for your dd to talk to HER friend and share! Its a growing up moment for 'your own kid' to possibly pass the same advice to her friend! "Talk to your own parent"

Perhaps as a friend
i might say to MY friend.
"Sounds like if your doing something YOU really dont want to do. Its time for YOU
(the friend) to speak up to your parents"

That is two lessons
one for your dd
and one for the friend.

Btw....sometimes people are frustrated and vent. Say things in a moment that arent always super accurate....

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2016
Cather's dad weighing in.

I would suggest a sit-down with the kid to flush out why she hates catching. During that meeting, I'd stress how important catchers are, how they are the natural leaders of the team, and how they are really the most important player on the field. If that doesn't bring her around, I'd invite the parent into the conversation with a discussion of whether a secondary position is a good idea.

But I can tell you this. The older you get, the more brutal the position is. Our daughter just finished the second year of 16U travel ball, where she platooned at catcher. In school ball she caught probably 90% of the team's innings. So far she had suffered a stress fracture in her foot, rotator-cuff and biceps tendon tendinitis, a broken finger, and a dislocated thumb. Every one of these injuries required rehab. In addition, we live in the South, and catchers have to wear gear that makes them the hottest player on the field. Further, being a catcher is a pressure-cooker. People will grumble about her when she doesn't throw out runners, even when the throw is perfect. Infielders don't make errors, the catcher screws up. The same goes with balls that hit the backstop (most people don't understand the distinction between a passed ball and a wild pitch). Good catchers will ALWAYS blame themselves even when the mistake clearly isn't theirs.

So you've got to be cut out physically and mentally to be a good catcher. It isn't easy. In fact, typing this there's no wonder that Op's 12-year-old doesn't like it.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
I guess my initial knee jerk reaction is:
1.) Honestly, conversations should end when they start out as "he said, she said". Unless life is involved, no good can come from extending that conversation further.
2.) If a player truly doesn't want to catch, it will ultimately work itself out. The 2 spot takes a bizarre human. Without the desire, the ability generally falls off to the point the coach will have to make the decision for them.

Nov 17, 2017
Thanks All

I'm Shuttin' up.... lol

Great points - It's been near 90 degrees with Humidity..Kids have been playing almost every day here between Travel / Little league and Practice

The season will wrap up fast. She may be just confiding in how she feels now all beaten up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs