Team rankings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Interesting 3 year rolling average.
Better than the year at a glimpse!
Perhaps can see coaches consistancy better. Since rosters can vary yearly.
They show the 2019 one year ranking and then below it shows the 3 year rolling average. Click on the team and it will show you how many points they earned for each tournament. You can tell I spend way too much time with this stuff. Many teams will display their "rankings badge" on the team website. The more top tourneys you play the more opportunity for points.

May 6, 2015
Well, do not use USSSA rankings, my DD's 16U team is ranked in the top 10 in points and power in NY, watching them play, not sure why they ranked that high. (definitely a good team, but not top 10)
I believe that ranking is in within their class, so it depends how many teams are registered in their same class (ie A, B, C).

where we are not a lot of teams register as A, you could probably be the 15th ranked A team in most age brackets simply by registering your roster.

Apr 28, 2014
Rankings are hard as you can't get a gage until after the season... at that point girls age out or the team moves up to a different age group.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2015
New England
www.usclubrankings.com

Is best "real" ranking systems that does the best. Teams win points based on the tournaments they play. More points are assigned to big Nationals. IDT, Sparkler/Fireworks, USA Nationals, PGF, TCS Nationals etc. Lower points are awarded for tourney like States and regional Nationals. They do a 3 year rolling average. No subjectivity.

Not sure what your first sentence means? There's value in these types of rankings, but I would not agree that there's no subjectivity. What you're describing makes the subjective judgment that rounds advanced means is more important than strength of schedule and that certain tournaments are always more competitive or more telling than others. These types of rankings may not show how good the teams really are/were.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Rankings are hard as you can't get a gage until after the season... at that point girls age out or the team moves up to a different age group.

That's true if you're talking about national teams that rarely get to together, IMO. But for teams in a state that play 90 percent of their games in their state or local area, I think you can get a pretty good idea within two months of a six-month spring/summer season. In my experience, teams don't improve drastically relative to other teams in six months unless they pick up new players.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Are team rankings accurate in anyway when calculation is looking at the season as it goes on?
( not end of year nationals)

With teams in some areas already classified a.b.c. and not so in other areas.

With different venues usa usssa tcs pgf fasa....and more.
That do not attract the same teams.

Are team rankings accurate in any way?
Because they are not actually ranking every team and not able to rank teams against eachother because teams play in different venues than eachother.

It really seems more like a big
Guestimation !

May 27, 2013
Are team rankings accurate in anyway when calculation is looking at the season as it goes on?
( not end of year nationals)

With teams in some areas already classified a.b.c. and not so in other areas.

With different venues usa usssa tcs pgf fasa....and more.
That do not attract the same teams.

Are team rankings accurate in any way?
Because they are not actually ranking every team and not able to rank teams against eachother because teams play in different venues than eachother.

It really seems more like a big
Guestimation !

If a team is only playing U-Trip or PONY and are not entering high level showcases or TCS, PGF events (18U level) then they probably aren’t a high level team. Nothing against those orgs, but you tend to see the really good teams not play in them past 12-14U.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Not sure what your first sentence means? There's value in these types of rankings, but I would not agree that there's no subjectivity. What you're describing makes the subjective judgment that rounds advanced means is more important than strength of schedule and that certain tournaments are always more competitive or more telling than others. These types of rankings may not show how good the teams really are/were.
The OP asked where they can research where find team rankings. Flo and Extra Innings only gather information from teams that submit information, which excludes many very good teams. You also have to pay to see their subjective rankings. When I say "real" I am talking about legitimate National rankings that take into account tournaments that bring in teams from around the country. Can anyone provide a better rankings system that incorporates all of the National tournaments from different event organizers? Other posters bring up USSSA rankings. That only ranks for teams that play in USSSA tourneys which is pretty much regional except for the WFC. USFA only ranks teams that play in USFA tourneys. US Club Rankings uses finishes from USSSA WFC, PGF, USA Softball, Triple Crown, States (TCS). Generally where the best national competition converges. So when you mention Strength of Schedule, National Tournaments should speak for itself. Have you looked at usclubrankings site? Have you seen the tournaments that they recognize. It goes back to 2012 and you can following each team, year by year. There is absolutely no Subjectivity to it. The rankings are based on finishes in those tournaments with an algorithm calculated. Whereas Extra Innings and Flo is ALL Subjective.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
If a team is only playing U-Trip or PONY and are not entering high level showcases or TCS, PGF events (18U level) then they probably aren’t a high level team. Nothing against those orgs, but you tend to see the really good teams not play in them past 12-14U.
I can think of a team locally that was pretty good over the past several years with an awesome Game Changer record. BUT they never played any of the point qualifying tournaments and pretty much played the Hittin' Kittens every weekend. They were so proud of themselves. If they didn't have their stud pitcher available, they would cancel tournaments. A few years ago they went out of state to a USA Gold qualifier tourney in which they thought they would run the table. They went 0-2 in bracket! The parents were not happy. The coaches made an obvious choice NOT to play a competitive schedule. They only played in 4 tournaments in the summer of 2019. I have a dad friend that would ask me where we were playing and then sounded despondent because they weren't playing that weekend...again! You can have a below .500 winning % and still be ranked in the top 75 as long as your are playing in the top tourneys. The difference is, you are playing the toughest teams week in week out with college coaches watching(not this year...lol).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi