Team hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
CB - Those aren't too deep for BB because she got her barrel on plane early enough to square them up. For hitters with a more "out front" swing, making contact that deep will result in a weak-mediocre ground ball, often to the right side.
Eric, I understand and I think my point is that maybe the OP could check out posts like yours and some others where you guys have worked with your dds and have taken some of the "stuff" in the hitting threads and made your dd's exceptional players. That is where I was headed next after the OP's response. You and others have added a lot of quality stuff to this site and in the hitting threads.

Aug 19, 2013
By too deep I mine the ball is already there when they swing so when contact is made the bat is still coming down into the zone. Will front tossing up close and fast they make good contact early and drive hard hit liners, not pop flyes.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
By too deep I mine the ball is already there when they swing so when contact is made the bat is still coming down into the zone. Will front tossing up close and fast they make good contact early and drive hard hit liners, not pop flyes.

The point I was trying to make is that barrel path (specifically, getting on plane early and deep) can be a significant factor on this issue.

For making adjustments to a lot of players in a short amount of time, it's going to be about them making an adjustment to start their swing process earlier - before they even know the location of the pitch. As others have said... start slow and early.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009

I'm a big fan of learning how to load efficiently so that the hitter is already in motion with various body parts so they can be on time. I sometimes use the term "dance with the pitcher." Some here like it and some don't. If your hitters have the ball in flight and then your hitters begin the load, your hitters are going to be late. As they progress and learn how to load efficiently they will be able to see the ball in flight and time the ball providing again that they have elements that give them a running start on the swing. I use different terms and so, I'll let some of the experts take it from here.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The point I was trying to make is that barrel path (specifically, getting on plane early and deep) can be a significant factor on this issue.

For making adjustments to a lot of players in a short amount of time, it's going to be about them making an adjustment to start their swing process earlier - before they even know the location of the pitch. As others have said... start slow and early.

Many of the flawed swings we see here at DFP get on plane too early.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
FFS, then are you asserting that the op's team problem with hitting is that they are getting on plane too soon?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
CB, the OP stated the issue as ... “We make contact to late and drive everything to the ground.” There was clarification … “I mean they let the ball travel to deep”.

The coach also wrote ... "We have done tee work out in front, 2 tees one way out in front along with me telling them to make up there mind early and go meet the ball."

The implication being that the coach doesn't have a handle on proper timing aspects and may potentially be inducing the issue that is being complained about .... and as you suggested/hinted/alluded to, the coach may not quite understand where contact should be made.

Without video it's a bit of a crap shoot. The real issue could be one of many.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Many of the flawed swings we see here at DFP get on plane too early.

I would agree that there are a lot of flawed swings where the barrel gets on plane too early (DBSF pattern, for example). The mechanics of how the barrel gets on plane is an important factor in that regard.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
CB, the OP stated the issue as ... “We make contact to late and drive everything to the ground.” There was clarification … “I mean they let the ball travel to deep”.

The coach also wrote ... "We have done tee work out in front, 2 tees one way out in front along with me telling them to make up there mind early and go meet the ball."

The implication being that the coach doesn't have a handle on proper timing aspects and may potentially be inducing the issue that is being complained about .... and as you suggested/hinted/alluded to, the coach may not quite understand where contact should be made.

Without video it's a bit of a crap shoot. The real issue could be one of many.

I agree. I was in a hurry and had to get but was thinking that you would come along and basically post ^^^^this^^^^.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Video of this happening is the key. is it rolling out like Redhot suggests? is it being late bat still travelling down? Grip? I have a couple girls that have this issue, one iS/was late, and it happens that when i used the que "out front more" to her "out front was out front over the plate, not out front towards pitcher. Another has a very flat swing no tilt level shoulders, ball drops, she gets the top = weak grounder.

Video!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06