"Team" bats?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
Never really understood the concept of a team bat. During practice does everyone else stand around waiting for the players using the 3 team bats to finish their hitting stations before they can get swings in? Girls come in many different sizes and strengths, how can a few bats address everyone's differences and individual preferences? IMO, every player should have at least two bats with the same weight and size, one for the cages and one for everything else.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Has anyone ever tried having team bats? Meaning, buying 2 or 3 various weight Xenos (insert bat of preference) for the entire team to use. We are a team of middle-class families, but for many of the girls softball is their #2 sport. Anything I can do to defer costs for these families I think will extend the time their daughter plays softball. Any thoughts on the success of this type of situation. I think I'd buy one or two, and ask all parents to chip in $30 to buy another.

You said softball isnt most girls' number one sport. Does this mean their parents have the money, just choose not to spend it on softball instead on the other sports?

Nov 27, 2010
Core - They could all probably afford a new Demarini or Xeno, but they, like me, struggle with the thought of a $300 bat every year or two. Most have good quality bats now, Easton FX1, Demarini CF 4 or 5, etc. but they have either outgrown them, or they see more "pop" in a different, newer bat.

I agree it might not work, but I probably have enough in the "coaches salary" budget to buy two good bats for the team without having to ask anyone to chip in, so I'll probably give it a try. Their current bats are probably sufficient for practices and working at home, and a few have bought new bats of their own for this season.

I forgot to mention (not sure it matters), but we are a competitive 14U travel team.

Thanks for everyone's comments. I'll try to remember to update this after the season to tell you how the experiment went.

Dec 12, 2013
B.C. Canada
There are 3 team bats in our budget for economic reasons, not all families can afford a bat, or they may be single parents that have 3 kids in sports or WHY...
Also, every year, a player will show up with a 38 onz sledge hammer that they are trying to swing, when they should be in a 32 or 33 onz. It helps these player when you can show them what they should be swinging. Some parents or player don't ask for advise when buying a bat and show up with one that doesn't suite them. Not saying that I can cover all the basis with 3 team bats, but I can get close.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
An elite bat with a poor swing leads to false and soon fleeting success. I advocate spending the money developing a good swing first, then buy a good bat.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Core - They could all probably afford a new Demarini or Xeno, but they, like me, struggle with the thought of a $300 bat every year or two. Most have good quality bats now, Easton FX1, Demarini CF 4 or 5, etc. but they have either outgrown them, or they see more "pop" in a different, newer bat.

I agree it might not work, but I probably have enough in the "coaches salary" budget to buy two good bats for the team without having to ask anyone to chip in, so I'll probably give it a try. Their current bats are probably sufficient for practices and working at home, and a few have bought new bats of their own for this season.

I forgot to mention (not sure it matters), but we are a competitive 14U travel team.

Thanks for everyone's comments. I'll try to remember to update this after the season to tell you how the experiment went.

I would have trouble with the parents that have plenty of money just dont wanna buy a new bat for whatever reason. If thats the case, they can swing their current bats. I would never use my salary to buy bats for kids whose parents have money and just dont wanna spend any to help their kids maintain their sports as they grow up.

Now its another story if you have a lower income team of kids that their parents just cant afford new bats. Thats a whole diff situation and I would always do what I can to help them out. In that situation, team bats would be cool to do.

Jan 14, 2011
Michigan
Has anyone ever tried having team bats? Meaning, buying 2 or 3 various weight Xenos (insert bat of preference) for the entire team to use. We are a team of middle-class families, but for many of the girls softball is their #2 sport. Anything I can do to defer costs for these families I think will extend the time their daughter plays softball. Any thoughts on the success of this type of situation. I think I'd buy one or two, and ask all parents to chip in $30 to buy another.

Team Bats are a great idea - especially for 8U, 10U and 12U Teams.

Everyone wants good performing fastpitch softball bats but durability is VERY IMPORTANT for Team Bats. Obviously, they get MUCH MORE USE (practices and games) and they typically get tossed around much more without regard to "taking care of the bat".

We recommend the following fastpitch softball bats because they perform reasonably well and are pretty durable. The cost of these bats is about $100 - $200. Note: The Non-Composites below are good bats for cold weather.
Composite - 2014 Louisville Slugger TPS Mendoza (-13): $85 - $100
Composite - 2014 Miken Halo Light (-12.5): $130 - $160
Composite: 2013 - Louisville Slugger TPS Zephyr (-13): $100 - $130
Composite: 2013 - COMbat Lisa Fernandez Lite (-10, -12): $200
Non-Composite - 2013 Easton CV12 (-10) : $110
Non-Composite - 2014 Anderson TechZilla FP (-10): $200 - $230

May 10, 2013
USA
My daughter plays 8u TB right now and have I have bought 3 bats for her and we are on the bottom of the middle class. I wouldn't like to HAVE to pay for a or many team bats. I want to buy the bat/bats for my DD.

Right now she has:

2013 Jessica Mendoza Louisville Slugger 30" 17oz $120 Ebay
2013 Miken Halo Light 30" 17.5oz $120 Ebay
2011 Worth Toxic 30" 19oz $50 Ebay, this is her batting cage, cold weather bat.

I love baseball/softball and it is real hard to not buy stuff for her. Right now I'm looking at a 2014 Lisa Fernandez Combat 30" 18oz for about $40 on Ebay.

She has played on 3 teams now and every kid on every team, 1 rec team, 1 all star team, and now her TB team has had there own bat.

Nov 27, 2010
The way it settled out, nobody expressed enough interest one way or the other. One of my biggest concerns (aka players who softball is #2 sport) bought a new CF6, so we'll use the money elsewhere. Some of the comments about being in 10s or 12s are probably right on. Now at 14s it's either invest in new or search out a deal on Ebay. Thanks again for all the input.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
There are 3 team bats in our budget for economic reasons, not all families can afford a bat, or they may be single parents that have 3 kids in sports or WHY...
Also, every year, a player will show up with a 38 onz sledge hammer that they are trying to swing, when they should be in a 32 or 33 onz. It helps these player when you can show them what they should be swinging. Some parents or player don't ask for advise when buying a bat and show up with one that doesn't suite them. Not saying that I can cover all the basis with 3 team bats, but I can get close.

Maybe if all the girls on the team are named "Crystl Bustos".

Or do you mean 22/23 oz? :confused:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild