Teaching to hit the outside pitch !!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
From my old baseball day's........... You can work off the tee all you want, but you also have to adjust your timing. To hit a true strike outside pitch you have to let the ball get deep and then hit it. This was my and my dd's hardest pitch to hit since we are both dead pull hitters.

I agree and at the same time disagree, the tee teaches the correct swing mechanics to hit the outside pitch, live pitching and in some cases pitching machines works on timing.

My daughter was just a natural at outside pitches, the inside pitch was her problem. She would hit ground balls to short or third, after much work she is doing well on the inside pitch.

With the great pitchers we have today you can’t afford to have a hole in your swing.

May 13, 2008
A hitter needs to be able to adjust from inside-out to be able to hit the outside pitch. In other words, be ready for the high inside pitch and then adjust to the location. Howard talks about rotating as needed for the outside pitch. Here are a couple of videos that explain the concepts as I understand them:

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I agree and at the same time disagree, the tee teaches the correct swing mechanics to hit the outside pitch, live pitching and in some cases pitching machines works on timing.

My daughter was just a natural at outside pitches, the inside pitch was her problem. She would hit ground balls to short or third, after much work she is doing well on the inside pitch.

With the great pitchers we have today you can’t afford to have a hole in your swing.

I'll add a small piece of advice to ALL fathers. My DD made a name for herself living on pulling inside pitches, broke the HR record in middle and high school and TB. ( she is a sophomore this year ) Now we rarely see ANY ANY ANY inside pitches thrown to her. So you are very correct in 'there can't be a hole in your swing'. Because believe me, coaches and teams don't forget yard shots, and they don't forget what pitch you hit to get them. It has been quite an adjustment trying to drive the outside pitch.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2009
Nothing for me works better than plain old BP...But! My team has a lot of visual learners on it and simply telling them to let the ball travel deeper into the zone just doesn't cut it. Same goes for them visualizing the point of contact. So, we place an object where we want contact in the opposite side in batters box. We find this gives them the visual cue they need and progress is much faster.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06