Teaching the high level pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Yeah, Bo swings out of his shoes every AB. He’s also very aggressive, swings at everything. If he were more disciplined SOs will go down. Bo also wears down pitchers, long at bats, making a lot of contact, fouling really nasty pitches off, he’s frustrating to pitch against.

Anyway this wasn’t a Bo vs Vladdy post in regard to who’s better. Even Vladdy can improve and this year his bat path is too steep, too many balls hit hard into the ground resulting in a lot of double plays, most in the AL, if not all of baseball. Vladdys eye at the plate is superior when compared to Bo’s and he’s not aggressive as Vlad sr was, hence why he strikes out less. A change in Vladdys barrel path might be beneficial… you did say AJ’s barrel path is flatter and it’s helping him, I know it’s an opposite adjustment, but why wouldn’t it help Vladdy?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Here's a video that helps explain why at least part of the reason AJ is having a successful year.

If your interested in HLP it's a good video that will help, if you not, then don't bother.

This is much better than the old arrest the weight, tilt etc. AJ swings looks like something close to what I would teach. The hips advance before the stride and the hands load against the forward move. But imo the back knee and hip flexion controls the forward move against advancing hips and the hands back. Keeping the knee in but out is key imo. The opening of the pelvis(weight across) is controlled by this..

1662515091694.gif

See how my kid gets her foot down but still hasn’t released the weight yet. Her swing isn’t perfect by any means. But she’s adjustable.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Yeah, Bo swings out of his shoes every AB. He’s also very aggressive, swings at everything. If he were more disciplined SOs will go down. Bo also wears down pitchers, long at bats, making a lot of contact, fouling really nasty pitches off, he’s frustrating to pitch against.

Anyway this wasn’t a Bo vs Vladdy post in regard to who’s better. Even Vladdy can improve and this year his bat path is too steep, too many balls hit hard into the ground resulting in a lot of double plays, most in the AL, if not all of baseball. Vladdys eye at the plate is superior when compared to Bo’s and he’s not aggressive as Vlad sr was, hence why he strikes out less. A change in Vladdys barrel path might be beneficial… you did say AJ’s barrel path is flatter and it’s helping him, I know it’s an opposite adjustment, but why wouldn’t it help Vladdy?

Unfortunately we don’t have all the stats to make a real diagnosis for Vlad jr. if he’s hitting hard ground balls, that’s a good result. Maybe a C+ result. Maybe he’s falling behind in counts and going to a 2 strike approach to often or looking for too much junk early and is late to the heater? Tough to say. Maybe he feels more pressure to make contact since BB is striking out so much? He does hit behind him right? Who knows?

I like his swing though and don’t think it’s too steep.

1662517358625.gif

May 12, 2016
Unfortunately we don’t have all the stats to make a real diagnosis for Vlad jr. if he’s hitting hard ground balls, that’s a good result. Maybe a C+ result. Maybe he’s falling behind in counts and going to a 2 strike approach to often or looking for too much junk early and is late to the heater? Tough to say. Maybe he feels more pressure to make contact since BB is striking out so much? He does hit behind him right? Who knows?

I like his swing though and don’t think it’s too steep.

View attachment 26443
You are grasping at straws here W and that’s ok, you don’t watch this team like I do. Hitting hard ground balls is not the objective IMO … hitting the ball hard is, but if you are constantly beating the ball into the ground, your swing can be improved and this is what Vladdy has been doing. still doing good, but could be so much better. The comment about Vladdy hitting ground balls so much because Bo strikes out so much is insane, Bichette has a higher BA since entering the league, it’s not like he’s a slacker, and Vladdy has been hitting in front of Bichette for a good portion of this year and he’s hitting more ground balls then last year when hitting behind him last year.

Your comments here on Bichette striking out so much are so misleading… he’s has a completely different approach than Vladdy at the plate, very aggressive And he attacks the pitcher. If you watched this team you would know what I’m talking about. I don’t mind Bichette striking out
when he’s batting .300, close to 100 RBIs, and 30 HRs, while forcing the pitcher to throw a number of pitchers each AB, he’s not an easy out, he’s a pain in the rear.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
You are grasping at straws here W and that’s ok, you don’t watch this team like I do. Hitting hard ground balls is not the objective IMO … hitting the ball hard is, but if you are constantly beating the ball into the ground, your swing can be improved and this is what Vladdy has been doing. still doing good, but could be so much better. The comment about Vladdy hitting ground balls so much because Bo strikes out so much is insane, Bichette has a higher BA since entering the league, it’s not like he’s a slacker, and Vladdy has been hitting in front of Bichette for a good portion of this year and he’s hitting more ground balls then last year when hitting behind him last year.

Your comments here on Bichette striking out so much are so misleading… he’s has a completely different approach than Vladdy at the plate, very aggressive And he attacks the pitcher. If you watched this team you would know what I’m talking about. I don’t mind Bichette striking out
when he’s batting .300, close to 100 RBIs, and 30 HRs, while forcing the pitcher to throw a number of pitchers each AB, he’s not an easy out, he’s a pain in the rear.

I’m not grasping at anything. You said hard hit ground balls. I like those. Maybe your description is lacking. I didn’t claim to know the answer. Just going off stats, gifs and your descriptions. Bichette Ks are high. Vlad is a swing down guy. Doesn’t K as much.

Maybe Vlad swings at less Bc he has a shorter swing and can wait? Maybe Bo doesn’t have that luxury? When the barrel enters the zone early you have committed sooner but deeper. Off speed is tough. If you commit the barrel later you have a chance to adjust. It’s pretty cut and dry here. AJ was the K king for too long doing that. No one ever hit .300 w a barrel dump. NOBODY.

There are way too many things that come into play here to really know why. Never cared for BB all or nothing approach. Seems like he has the josh d syndrome. Not a winning formula.

May 12, 2016
I’m not grasping at anything. You said hard hit ground balls. I like those. Maybe your description is lacking. I didn’t claim to know the answer. Just going off stats, gifs and your descriptions. Bichette Ks are high. Vlad is a swing down guy. Doesn’t K as much.

Maybe Vlad swings at less Bc he has a shorter swing and can wait? Maybe Bo doesn’t have that luxury? When the barrel enters the zone early you have committed sooner but deeper. Off speed is tough. If you commit the barrel later you have a chance to adjust. It’s pretty cut and dry here. AJ was the K king for too long doing that. No one ever hit .300 w a barrel dump. NOBODY.

There are way too many things that come into play here to really know why. Never cared for BB all or nothing approach. Seems like he has the josh d syndrome. Not a winning formula.
You may like hard hit ground balls, but Vladdy doesn’t, he’s currently trying to reduce the number of ground balls and get the ball in the air more like last year. Just a FYI.

You don’t think a career BA hovering around .300 (higher than Vladdy), 30 HRs, 100 RBIs per year, top 10 in hits each year etc is a winning formula? Any manager would love to have a BB in their lineup.

@Mike-Coach-Q , sorry for hijacking’s your thread…. Carry on

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06