teaching pitchers and catchers how to cover on past ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
10u coach here, want some opinions on how to teach pitchers and catchers to cover on past balls.

Obviously C needs to acquire ball and sprint for it, preferable to barehand it.

I was having P (assuming RHP) run home, moves into RH box, facing catcher. I had them crouching, glove about one foot off ground, directly behind HP, or towards 3B dugout, depending on location of ball. C to throw to their glove, P catches, then turns towards backstop/1B dugout, sweeping glove along HP. This way, they are not in patch of slide (both to avoid injury and to avoid any potential blocking call, but if C makes good throw and they catch, catching and tagging motion makes it pretty much impossible for runner to avoid tag (we must slide at home if there is a play). Some others have expressed concern that Ps back is towards runner, but to me first they need to worry about getting ball, then basically sweep glove with ball across plate (I tell them to actually sweep it in contact with the plate and ground, stopping right in front of plate).

I see so many times where P stands on HP, and since it is not a force, all this accomplishes is increasing odds of injury for someone. Want to give them a specific spot to go to instead (ie RH batter's box) where they are in position to make play once they have the ball. ie catching, then basically allowing ball to continue to move, just now in glove, not describing it right what I was showing them, but was essentially not really stopping the throw, just capturing the motion of it with their glove).

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I am not an expert on the subject, but as the pitchers get older and ACE pitchers become more valuable, most coaches teach them to cover the plate with a swooping tag vs. trying to block the plate. Not worth getting an ACE pitch hurt in a collision. Pitcher needs to give catch a good low target and the catcher needs to throw it like a dart.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
IMO pitcher should be positioned as the catcher would be on a play at home: in front of the 3B corner of the plate in fair territory. I don't want my pitcher crossing the base path and getting smashed by the runner.

But to be honest, I never really thought about the specifics.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD was flying, you could see the umpire thinking of tossing the player. He issued a warning.

DD, pitcher, was flying. Probably 10’ off the ground.

Do not throw players against the fence.

I do think you need to give the runner a path to the plate, she stands in fair territory and puts the ball in front of the plate.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
This is good, many times this play isn't practiced at all or very rarely. I teach our catchers to approach the right side of the ball (we have RH catchers :)) if the ball is close to the backstop, I have them slide on their knees into the ball. I use the scoop the ball using both hand and glove. They throw from their knees.

I have our pitchers at the front edge of the plate towards 3B. I really stress to the catchers to throw the ball where the pitcher has her glove. If her glove is waist high, throw it there. How many times have you seen what really is a good low throw get by the fielder because she wasn't ready for the low throw? Of course we teach the pitchers to give a low target for the catchers.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
This is something that we practice a lot. Pitcher throws ball up and in to either right or left handed hitter and catcher does not catch it. Catcher spins and looks for ball. Pitcher sprints in pointing and yelling where ball is. Catcher locates ball, takes steps toward the ball BUT at some point, slides on shin guards to ball. Catcher has to make decision on how to deliver the ball to the pitcher based upon how far the catcher is from the plate. One option is "flip" and the other is to throw a "dart." Flip is underhand and dart is overhand. Pitcher sprints to the plate facing the catcher and direction of the toss. Pitcher now how to read closeness of the play and direction of the toss. What you don't want is for pitcher to get to plate and be in the line of the runner. Pitcher can cross plate receive toss or stop in front of plate and receive toss. The second option will take longer for the ball to get there. Catcher will call flip or dart so pitcher knows how the ball will be tossed.

Well, I might have left something out but this is a pretty guideline for what we do.

Nov 8, 2014
bmakj..U have all the issues in mind....#1...protect your pitcher. Do not block the plate unless its seventh inning of the last game of the year. Stay out of the runners slide. The odds are against the defense on this play everytime, so save your P's legs. I never want my catcher to throw a "dart" to pitcher. That's a waste of precious time for C to bring the ball up, turn her body and throw overhand. We do this...C should barehand the ball off the dirt and scoop it to the P ASAP. Its only 12 to 15 feet away. Scrape the ball against the dirt and get it to the P as soon as possible. Whether that's a backhand scoop or underhand. its your only chance. U can practice this in 3 minutes every practice. Lay out 8 to 10 balls by the backstop and have the catcher scoop and shovel everyone to a P that is saying "here, here, here". Most these tosses will be blind... its better than turning and looking and throwing a dart. Keep the scoop toss 1 to 12 inches off the dirt. the tag is gonna be on the ground so keep the toss low. For the C.....when a runner is on 3B....make sure the C blocks everything like a hockey goalie. Knees down, shoulders square, glove blocking the 5 hole. if it gets past..chase it and scrape toss it to the hollering P.

May 6, 2015
thanks for all the thoughts

definitely not going to have P block path to plate. Will practice both ways (recieving throw in fair territory, and in batter's box), see what works best. Still kind of like getting into batter's box, as (at least for righties) makes the catch and sweep/tag motion all in one (ie ball pretty much just keeps moving, but now in glove and curving towards 3B). also, big problem in our games seems to be batters getting out of box, having P move into box will force Umps hand into making call (for us, if batter does not get out of box and there is a play at the plate, runner is out, but many times if catcher does not make a throw, umps do not call it).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32