Teaching cue for rear leg/hip action

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 16, 2008
SE Michigan
I have all learned quite a bit about what a hitter needs to do from the hitting forum discussions...thank you. I would like to share a concept that I use in teaching the rear leg and hip action. This is not a comprehensive explanation of all things hitting... just one little focused nugget that I have had success with. I call it the Snow Angel Lesson and here are my notes. Players of all ages seem to grasp this "snow angel" image better than my other approaches.

Hamilton_lower.gif

Snow Angel Lesson
1) want to use our rear leg muscles in the same way we would to make a "snow angel" with our rear foot if we were hitting on snow covered ice
2) demo snow angel action similar to Josh Hamilton video
3) for LH hitter, cc rotation of rear foot with our inside heel as pivot plowing an angel wing image
4) want to use rear leg muscles this way but since we are hitting on dirt with cleats our foot will not actually move
5) instead we will keep our rear knee stable which will cause a stretch feel at the inside of our rear leg mostly near the knee and hip
6) since we are keeping the knee stable the only thing that can react with motion to the "angel" force is our hip
7) as our leg continues to try to make the "angel" our rear hip will be forced to move behind us as we move out into our stride
8) so we continue to make an "angel" all the way to toe touch
9) doing so will maintain most of weight on our back side and keep our rear leg stretch until launch
10) our rear foot "angel" sensor helps us know if we are using our rear leg correctly

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32