TCB Ball Help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2011
I was thinking of purchasing some of the TCB Balls. It seems from what I've read on here that most people like them. My problem is which one to buy as there are 4 different models. I was looking for some suggestions and some discussion on why you like them....Thanks in advance the input.

The models are:
- TCB Ball
- TCB ATOMIC Ball
- TCB Hole Ball 5.0
- TCB Hole Ball 8.0

May 1, 2011
The hole balls, I have no experience with. From what I gather, they are like wiffle balls that have a longer shelf life (correct me if I'm wrong). The ATOMIC's I'm not crazy about. I guess it's mainly because I'm dealing with 8-10 year old's right now, and the big ones way a metric ton.

The TCB are another story however. IMO, they are well worth the money. This past year, I was an assistant coach for an 8u (don't crusify me SoftSocDad) tournament team and we were getting our butts kicked regularly because our girls lacked the understanding of swinging through the ball. Don't get me wrong, some of them also have terrible mechanics, but kinda like Hunter Pence, even bad mechancs CAN work as long as you swing hard, and get through the ball with some authority. There was one team that regularly was just pummeling us because of the way that even their littlest girls hit the ball. Everything was a shot.

I cornered their coach at a tournament, and asked what the deal was. I asked him if any of their girls were taking private lessons, and he said that only one little girl on the team was, but that they really started pounding the ball about a month after they bought the TCB balls. We ordered some the next day, had them rush delivered, and the results were instantaneous (for us at least). We placed in our last 5 tournaments that we played in, and actually took home the big trophy twice.

I think the older the girls get, the benefits of these balls are more than just finishing through the ball. These balls give instant feedback as to where the ball was struck, and you also don't spend all day chasing wiffles. You can get 10-15 ft in front, and even if you have a girl that rifles one at you, it's not going to hurt much. Bottom line - get some, and get them ASAP.

Some people have also suggested saving some money and buying the Danskin balls from Wally World. I personally haven't used them yet, but some have said that the results are the same. Good luck, and happy hitting.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
You don't want the Atomic ball, if you are going to use it for little girls. It is too heavy. The TCB ball is what I use, to throw front toss to the girls.

The 8.0 is a very well constructed whiffle ball. The 5.0 is a whiffle golf ball, also very well constructed. Both fly pretty far, when hit with a bat.

Oct 25, 2009
I finally broke down and bought a dozen TCB balls. I hate to say I love them; because they're expensive. I use them for 16U TB and HS ball. Standing 20' away is still fairly risky when some of our kids are batting. You have to stay alert.

For 8-10U you would be safe at 15'. They are great for front toss. They are tougher and much better made than the Walmart balls. But for that age group the Walmart balls would be just fine. Even for the kids I work with the Walmart balls would be fine but the TCB balls are better.

I pitched a Walmart ball to one of the King and His Court. That was a mistake and I'm lucky I didn't lose my face. He hit it so hard it actually left a blister bubble on the ball and it went about 75'. He didn't hit the 2-lb ball but about 30'. The 2-lb balls from Walmart work great by the way.

Anyway, order a dozen of the TCB balls. They're cheaper by the dozen and when you consider shipping charges it's only a little more to go ahead with a dozen. You'll love them and they'll last forever.

Feb 14, 2010
The TCB balls are awesome. We use them exclusively now instead of soft toss. If you are like us space is limited in the parks we play so we need to utilize as much space as possible and the TCB's allow us to throw front toss without the worry of killing somebody.

Sep 29, 2010
Can't say enough good things about the TCB balls. Worth every penny. My daughters power numbers this year are through the roof.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
We've used the regular TCB balls for a year now and love them. They don't last forever though - our girls have destroyed 4 balls this year, so we are going to order more. We are going the 12 and 12 package of TCB and Hole balls. Well worth the investment!

Apr 1, 2010
I like the regular TCB balls. I don't throw very accurately, but with the TCB balls, even I can usually manage to pick spots. So finally, I can work with DD on high and inside pitches, low and outside, etc. I can give her a nice mix and a good workout in very little time and space. It's been almost too hot to practice here this summer, but we can take a dozen balls and a bat out into the yard in the evening and cycle through the dozen two or three times while the sun's going down.

They give great feedback; a girl can tell for herself if she's not hitting the ball squarely or not powering through. It prevents arguments because I don't have to be the bad guy telling her she isn't finishing her swing or is topping the ball, and so on.

if you have the money, please get them. You won't be disappointed.

P.S. By the way, DD has been hitting great. She led her team in BA and I think she only struck out once or twice this season. Was it all due to TCB balls? Nah, but I think they give a girl an extra edge.

Last edited:

hen

Dec 1, 2010
I've used them with great success especially with girls who used to be contact hitters. These were girls who'd just poke at a ball with two strikes so they wouldn't strike out. These along with a little verbal encouragement had them swinging a lot harder and more confidently. They loved getting in a semicircle behind the pitcher (~20-25 ft) and then trying to have the batter hit line drives over them. They learn quickly that you have to swing hard and make solid contact for it to go anywhere. Strikeout rates didn't increase noticably but you could see balls being driven through the infield and into gaps more frequently.

I like the hole balls but found that with repeated use they started developing little (1/4") cracks around the holes. Didn't affect performance at all though. Emailed TCB and got them replaced. Other than that no problems with them. Probably travel a little further than regular whiffles but last longer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp