TB players skipping tryouts.. AM I out of line in my thinking.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 29, 2010
Yes, good info here. But you and the parents only know what you know about this situation. You probably don't know all that the coach knows about this.

When I start to speculate and get angry about stuff like this, or when others do, I try remind myself (or them) what my dear old dad taught me a long time ago:

Don't believe anything that you hear, and only half of what you see.

I.e., chances are you witnessed things out of context or don't know the rest of the story.

Good Luck!

Here is another gem, there are 2 sides to the story and then the truth.

Dec 16, 2012
Well, first tourney is over. The last minute player did in fact play. As a matter of fact she played every single inning of all four games ( one day tourney) even the 2 blowout wins. She didn't sit one inning.
She is now " only playing the home tournaments" . Because her parents are not fond of traveling.

As the saying goes , It is what it is.

Jun 24, 2013
Well, first tourney is over. The last minute player did in fact play. As a matter of fact she played every single inning of all four games ( one day tourney) even the 2 blowout wins. She didn't sit one inning.
She is now " only playing the home tournaments" . Because her parents are not fond of traveling.

Looks like the apple didn't fall far from the tree. Her parents don't want to put in the effort and neither does she.

Jun 24, 2013

You can tell a lot about a coach by who they play when their teams are blowing out inferior competition. In blow-outs I ALWAYS play the bench warmers when it becomes evident that it is going to be lopsided. If my "A" team is really that good, then on the off chance the pine-riders screw up badly enough that it becomes competitive again, my A team should be able to come back in and secure the win. This strategy also helps the A team deal with having to play tougher when the situation gets tight again.

Mar 26, 2013
You can tell a lot about a coach by who they play when their teams are blowing out inferior competition. In blow-outs I ALWAYS play the bench warmers when it becomes evident that it is going to be lopsided. If my "A" team is really that good, then on the off chance the pine-riders screw up badly enough that it becomes competitive again, my A team should be able to come back in and secure the win. This strategy also helps the A team deal with having to play tougher when the situation gets tight again.
Seems like you have a lot of disdain for your reserve players. If they aren't good enough to play on your TB team, they shouldn't be on it.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2014
Seems like you have a lot of disdain for your reserve players. If they aren't good enough to play on your TB team, they shouldn't be on it.

Exactly! Why do coaches take girls if they aren't going to play them? I would never agree for my dd to join a team with 13 players at this young age(10). I will continue to feel that way for several more years. Adding 2 more without parent knowledge, I would be furious. By choosing my daughter to be on the roster you have told her that she is good enough to be on your team. I have no problem with the top 3 or 4 girls playing every inning but sitting out should then be spread out among the rest of the girls. Shame on you for taking girls you call pine riders! Stealing their parents' money and breaking their spirit. For what? Your ego?

Jun 24, 2013
Exactly! Why do coaches take girls if they aren't going to play them? I would never agree for my dd to join a team with 13 players at this young age(10). I will continue to feel that way for several more years. Adding 2 more without parent knowledge, I would be furious. By choosing my daughter to be on the roster you have told her that she is good enough to be on your team. I have no problem with the top 3 or 4 girls playing every inning but sitting out should then be spread out among the rest of the girls. Shame on you for taking girls you call pine riders! Stealing their parents' money and breaking their spirit. For what? Your ego?

First off you don't know me, so back of with your self-righteousness. When I built a team I stopped at 11 players. Players were only replaced if they or their parents had bad attitudes. I didn't kick girls to the curb if a new "better" prospect came around. I would tell the new prospect that we were full and I would call them if a spot opened up. When you build a team like this in the area I am from, you aren't going to get 11 A-Level players show up at tryouts. I wish I lived in your worlds where A level girls are falling off of trees. In this area, you will be lucky to get 2-3 A level players, 3-4 B level players and the rest C level players. So you get 5-7 "great" players and fill the rest of the team with "average" players. WHICH I THEN PROCEEDED TO BUILD INTO BETTER PLAYERS. It takes time to build them up so yes there will be some opportunities for them to be reserves and spend some time observing from the wooden study plank. If a game comes along when I have the chance to insert them, I would because the game teaches the game.

I always kept my teams to 11 players (unless forced to do otherwise). That way only 2 would be "riding pine" at a time. Severely disagreed with coaches with bloated rosters. I was once FORCED to take 15 because of the organization (left after that season). More angry parents than a nest full of hornets because there was always 6 riding the pine. I developed all the players on my roster, but if you have been coaching for any length of time you know that there will always be some that are a step behind the others (unless you are either lucky enough to live in 3bmama or SO_CAL Dad's zip codes or you are of the belief to have 100% A+ level talent and anytime a better player is found you will cut one of your team for her, kind of coach). If you are the coach of ANY TB team, you build to win so you play your better players the majority of the time.

You don't know me. I don't have an ego. I never put my ego ahead of the girls development. If I didn't have anyone in a reserve capacity, I would be in a position to forfeit if an injury or illness happened. I didn't take people's money. Also this is a coaches board, I never called any of my players pine riders to their face or to other coaches, but when I say that on an adult discussion board, people know what I mean.

Jun 24, 2013

I wished I lived in your world where you have 9 A-level girls that never get injured, sick or miss a game. But I don't, so I have to take what I can get around here, which means some of the reserves will need more player improvement than others. I guess I could have used the word "reserves" instead of bench warmers/pine riders, but I felt something would have been lost in the transition.

I care about all of my girls. Some are more ready for prime time than others. They wait for their turn and I spend just as much time developing them as I do the "A" level girls. I actually spend more on the reserves because they usually need more instruction as the "A" girls just need minor tweaks.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
cmust, I don't think this issue was how you develop the players, or how many "A" players you have or don't have. The words you used in reference to your own players implied you think less of them. Maybe it's a case of typed words can be taken out of context, but when I read your post, I felt this way as well. Subs are a valuable part of a team. They shouldn't be looked down upon. In many cases, I've held lessor players in much higher regard than some that the game comes easy for them. Just my opinion.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
I wished I lived in your world where you have 9 A-level girls that never get injured, sick or miss a game. But I don't, so I have to take what I can get around here, which means some of the reserves will need more player improvement than others. I guess I could have used the word "reserves" instead of bench warmers/pine riders, but I felt something would have been lost in the transition.

I care about all of my girls. Some are more ready for prime time than others. They wait for their turn and I spend just as much time developing them as I do the "A" level girls. I actually spend more on the reserves because they usually need more instruction as the "A" girls just need minor tweaks.

I didn't see this reply. I looks as if your words were taken out of context. Glad you cleared that up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors