TB players skipping tryouts.. AM I out of line in my thinking.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2012
I think this is a case of full disclouser not there. I understand the concerns of parents and I do think that the players will notice maybe not care but notice none the less. The coach having tryouts should have stated that he would pick up players if someone of interest became avaiable. He could also have stated at the same time that the hard work over winter would be worth the effort and not forgoten. The new girls may have worked even harder some place else all winter

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
13 well 15 now I guess .Apparently the coach "Saved a roster spot" for the girl who played last yr. in case she decided to play. But, he didn't mention this to the parents and he said nothing about the middle school girl at all. I Just wonder if my DD will get a "Roster spot held for her" next yr. since she will most likely be the best player on the team??? hmm??

If true, coach is not in this for the kids. He wants to build the best team possible for himself and/or his daughter, and he's exploiting kids to get there.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Coaches of the marquee organizations in my area are always under pressure to win and "represent" the organization, so they are constantly looking for players that can help them win games. It is also why they carry 14-16 players on their roster. Very seldom do they cut a player, but when the player finds herself riding the pine more than playing she usually leaves on her own.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
13 well 15 now I guess .Apparently the coach "Saved a roster spot" for the girl who played last yr. in case she decided to play. But, he didn't mention this to the parents and he said nothing about the middle school girl at all. I Just wonder if my DD will get a "Roster spot held for her" next yr. since she will most likely be the best player on the team??? hmm??

If your DD is the best player on the team, then I doubt you have anything to worry about, but the beauty of TB is that everyone has choices - parents, players and coaches. If you do not like the way the coach is managing the team, you and your DD are free to leave. There have been several teams started in our area by disgruntled dads, and I always get a laugh when I run into them a year later and ask how things are going......managing a team, especially a highly competitive A-level team is not as easy as one would think.

Dec 16, 2012
If your DD is the best player on the team, then I doubt you have anything to worry about, but the beauty of TB is that everyone has choices - parents, players and coaches. If you do not like the way the coach is managing the team, you and your DD are free to leave. T.

Like I said, I don't have a issue but the wife is kinda taking the brunt of it with thew parents because of her position with the team.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
We have a number of those organizations in our area. But personally I look at commitment as a two way street. Coaches expect players to have commitment to the team, organization, etc. I don't see anything wrong with players expecting the same in return. Our roster consists of players that have been with our team since tryouts. If someone better comes along we explain that we don't currently have any openings. If someone leaves or has an injury we may make a call. Does this limit our winning potential? I am sure it does. But I don't want to do it any other way.

Dec 16, 2012
We have a number of those organizations in our area. But personally I look at commitment as a two way street. Coaches expect players to have commitment to the team, organization, etc. I don't see anything wrong with players expecting the same in return. Our roster consists of players that have been with our team since tryouts. If someone better comes along we explain that we don't currently have any openings. If someone leaves or has an injury we may make a call. Does this limit our winning potential? I am sure it does. But I don't want to do it any other way.

That was kinda my thinking also but apparently we are the minority.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Like I said, I don't have a issue but the wife is kinda taking the brunt of it with thew parents because of her position with the team.

Your wife needs to politely describe the duties of the team mom and refer any disgruntled parents to take up their issues with the coaching staff.......

Apr 11, 2012
My DD plays for a very successful TB Organization....the coaches have to have successful teams to continue to be a part of it....it's that simple. When I was a young baseball player, my Dad always had me on the best teams, and it was the same then too...if a good player comes along that can help a team be better, many coaches will look to improve their team...and it always effected an existing players playing time. In the highest levels, of any sport, the most competitive coaches are recruiting someone's replacement at all times, parents and players just don't know it...it's just that the bottom 3-5 players that it happens to....that's just how it is. I had great coaches in TB, HS and college....they also taught me to play for the name on the back of a jersey too...work hard, be conident and know if you perform at a high level, your team will need you and not the other way around...of course this is more of a "Big Boy / Big Girl" concept and doesn't necessarily convey to 10 and 12 YO's....

But with that being said, that doesn't mean you have to like it or live with the way your coach is doing things either, as you are talking about a 12U TB and if it morally and ethically bothers you, in any fashion of the reason it is happening, then find another team. I wouldn't think anyone would fault you for standing up to whatever you think is right. But, IMHO, it sounds like it's a team your DD worked to earn a spot on and is a good organization....and rosters change every year on most sucessful TB teams...I would play poker face and not let anyone know my displeasure (as evil parents will use that against you) and make sure my DD was getting all the practice, help and equipment to make sure she was a top performer on the team...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors