Tale of two views

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
In the first clip he is stretching the core and not rotating, nor is he turning the shoulders. You can't look at this clip and say the stride doesn't add power.

Also, Rdbass, is this what you mean that the shoulder don't rotate or power the swing?

giphy.gif

In the second clip it looks like rotation is powering the swing, and I can see why someone might think the swing is rotational.

giphy.gif

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

BTW this was a inside change up, that I think he was waiting for, no adjustments on a 82 mph change up. So, I think he guessed correctly. The pitcher was RH and is known for his change up.

Feb 25, 2020
These are excellent gifs of an excellent hitter.

I like watching the front shoulder. I wonder How much of that movement is from "torso rotation" muscles and how much is from hip extension muscles. I think with the feet apart like in a swing they work in tandem. If he wss just rotating, the rear shoulder would come forward much sooner I believe.

Also, Funny how the angles matter. In the one gif it looks like he steps on the plate almost.

Thx Shawn.

*Edit for a comma

Feb 25, 2020
I wanted to say that the first clips shows the shoulders tilting, their not rotating first, they are titling first.

You have to realize that the bottom hand is attached to that shoulder. So when it moves like that there is tremendous torque on the bat.

Mar 13, 2017

skip to around 6 minutes left in the video. This is the drill I use with my players to get them to feel the difference between stacking and spinning out

Nov 8, 2018

skip to around 6 minutes left in the video. This is the drill I use with my players to get them to feel the difference between stacking and spinning out

This was great. I’ve done some of these drills. Very good for swing path, posture etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 12, 2016

9:15 to 10 minutes of this video is golden

I think a mistake a lot of us make is we drop back shoulder and force the front shoulder up.. screws up our posture, causes the front shoulder to fly open.. key is shoulders rotate around your spine and posture determines at what angle that rotation occurs

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi