"Syd the Kid"...justa swinging

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

Off course it's not a joke. This is an internet hitting forum! A joke, an incorrectly placed word, dragging the bat when it was really bat drag, turning the barrel when in fact it is the barrel that is turning, ir ing instead of turning inward, all these things could ruin everyone's chance at hitting a rise ball low in the zone!

lowrisewiffle.gif

Right, Loren?

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I have been working on it with 2 dozen kids on it to different degrees for the last month. I haven't found one explanation or cue that works good for more than a few.
Now dd works the most with me. She already has seen the rearward barrel in vids, so she knows what we are looking for. The best drill with her to start with we have named the Vladi (Guerrero). We start with the handle in front and out front. Top of bat pointed at pitcher, rear elbow (triangle) is pointed almost straight up in the air. Then we slowly pull hands back toward rear shoulder while turning the triangle slowly down. When the hands get to the back shoulder and the barrel is pointed about 45 degrees forward we launched the barrel hard rearward. We start this drill a few swings 45 degrees open feet. Then feet at noontime drill position. Then feet at reg swing postion. Her main focus is on her forearms and launching the barrel rearward. No thought at this time of the lower half.

The other girls and young boys are getting different degrees of "turn the triangle, tip and rip, and fire rearward". I will say a couple it is pretty natural, a few I have dropped it because they aren't going to work on it, and most do pretty well with a tee, and pretty poor with front toss.

Going to load this thread with the Ques.

Jul 20, 2010
lowrisewiffle.gif

Right, Loren?

Objectively speaking....Yes. :D

Rhc,,,you are dead on sir. A really well done post.
Off course it's not a joke. This is an internet hitting forum! A joke, an incorrectly placed word, dragging the bat when it was really bat drag, turning the barrel when in fact it is the barrel that is turning, ir ing instead of turning inward, all these things could ruin everyone's chance at hitting a rise ball low in the zone!

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Scraping this from other thread so as to set it in order, while I'm remembering it all.

Hey Stever,
One of my early threads after I started making GIFs was trying to get good images of the hands working. It's over at BBD and you need a free login to view the hitting threads but here is the link:
Hands GIFs at BBD

In that thread I gave an attempt to describe what I saw happening in those clips. (Blasts from the past are fun! :))

This was a fun read as well (again at BBD): Ellipticalinear Hitting at BBD

All in all it's a discussion ripe for differences in interpretations and meanings of cues as the articulations that are seen are isolated from the intent of the actions that cause them and then "when" it all happens is tried to be put into context of the whole sequence of the swing.

Drills that are meant to isolate the feeling/actions in the hands without "everything else in the swing", end up looking nothing like the actions in the full swing when the "everything else" is added back in.

RBOppo.gif
vs.
Braun_side1.gif

Best bet is to wrap your head around it in a context that makes sense to you and not really worry about what everyone else thinks... unless of course they are Wrong :)

Cheers,
NoonTime

Aug 28, 2012
PC, That Braun stuff led to this post/thread you may like too...

Here is my crack at the visual

Braun_Awesome_combo.gif

Photobucket resizes the originals these days if it is over 2MB so go here and use the Options->Download feature to get the full size clip.
Braun_Awesome_combo.gif Photo by baseballgifs | Photobucket

On the left is Braun doing the drill with JUST upper half. In the middle is him doing the same drill with the lower body added. On the right is a game swing. With respect to what Braun is doing with his hands and his intent to stay on top and swing down it is the same in all three swings. Is the barrel path the same? No, obviously. The barrel paths are not different though because he has a different intent or focus from the upper only drill to the game swing... the paths are different because "everything else" is different. The "everything else" that happens in his game swing takes the hands to the ball, swing down, keep the barrel above the hands, "drill path" and turns it into the nice swing plane that we strive for.

That's my take anyway.
Cheers,
NoonTime

Edit: Here is the Braun video for those who like to hear pros talking about what they do
How to Hit a Baseball with Ryan Braun - How To Be Awesome Ep. 1 - YouTube

Full thread is over at BBF : Muhl Advanced Skills Tee

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
^^^^
I see Braun as: Left, focusing on hands only.
Middle, hands with ir'ing rear leg.
Right, hands, ir'ing rear leg, WITH back resisting, scap pinch circling.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
On the left is Braun doing the drill with JUST upper half. In the middle is him doing the same drill with the lower body added. On the right is a game swing.
Braun_Awesome_combo.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors